Sep 26, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
A.J. Foyt has always said he didn’t make the Indianapolis 500; rather, the Indianapolis 500 made him.
And the four-time 500 champion, one of North America’s greatest racers, said Wednesday he’d like the month of May to stay just for the ’500 rather than adopt the mooted road course race at the Speedway.
“In my own opinion, I would hate to see that because Indianapolis 500 has been like the Kentucky Derby. It’s a legend race, and I think it would take a little bit from the 500,” Foyt said.
He added the timing would be fine if it was later in the year.
“Now after the 500, mid‑year, something like that, that would probably be fine,” he admitted. “But I’d hate to see it interfere with the Indy 500 maybe a week or two before it opens. I don’t think it’s a good deal, and that’s my personal opinion. I know a lot of people probably think it would be good, but I don’t think you’d have that many people there. I just think it would take away something from the Indy 500. That’s the way I feel.”
Others such as current drivers Graham Rahal and Ryan Briscoe, who tested on the IMS road course earlier this month, and Rahal’s father, team owner and 1986 Indianapolis 500 champion Bobby have spoken out in support of the road course race.
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)