Sep 26, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Lotus have confirmed that they will be giving junior driver Alex Fontana some track time next week during a private test at Paul Ricard using the 2010 Renault R30 car.
Fontana currently competes in GP3 for Jenzer Motorsport, but he was signed up by Lotus for the team’s junior programme at the beginning of the season. The team opted to give the majority of its young driver running to Davide Valsecchi at the Silverstone test back in July, but Fontana will finally get his first taste of a Formula One car next week at the French circuit.
“I’m naturally delighted that Lotus F1 Team has given me the opportunity of this test,” Fontana explained. “Every driver’s dream is to sit behind the wheel of a Formula One car.
“For me it’s a great honour to be able to undertake a day’s testing at Paul Ricard. I’ve been to Enstone on a number of occasions to prepare myself to best effect with intensive work on the simulator, and I’ll be tackling this test with great respect for the team, the car and with a healthy dose of humility. I’ll be giving it my best shot, to grasp the opportunity and to live up to the expectations.”
The Swiss driver has enjoyed a solid first full season in GP3, scoring one podium and a string of points-scoring finishes. This test for Lotus (who, of course, evolved from Renault) does point to a bright future for Fontana relying that he can excel in the junior categories to make himself a contender for an F1 seat in the future.
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 2
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 1
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 2
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1