Sep 26, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Lotus have confirmed that they will be giving junior driver Alex Fontana some track time next week during a private test at Paul Ricard using the 2010 Renault R30 car.
Fontana currently competes in GP3 for Jenzer Motorsport, but he was signed up by Lotus for the team’s junior programme at the beginning of the season. The team opted to give the majority of its young driver running to Davide Valsecchi at the Silverstone test back in July, but Fontana will finally get his first taste of a Formula One car next week at the French circuit.
“I’m naturally delighted that Lotus F1 Team has given me the opportunity of this test,” Fontana explained. “Every driver’s dream is to sit behind the wheel of a Formula One car.
“For me it’s a great honour to be able to undertake a day’s testing at Paul Ricard. I’ve been to Enstone on a number of occasions to prepare myself to best effect with intensive work on the simulator, and I’ll be tackling this test with great respect for the team, the car and with a healthy dose of humility. I’ll be giving it my best shot, to grasp the opportunity and to live up to the expectations.”
The Swiss driver has enjoyed a solid first full season in GP3, scoring one podium and a string of points-scoring finishes. This test for Lotus (who, of course, evolved from Renault) does point to a bright future for Fontana relying that he can excel in the junior categories to make himself a contender for an F1 seat in the future.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)