Sep 26, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
All three NASCAR national touring series – Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Camping World Truck – will take part in an expanded version of “Preseason Thunder” testing at Daytona International Speedway in January of 2014.
The Thunder sessions will begin with two days of work for the Sprint Cup contingent (four sessions overall) on Thursday and Friday, Jan. 9-10. Nationwide drivers and teams will follow on Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 11-12, and then the Trucks will hit the track on Monday and Tuesday, Jan. 13-14. All sessions will run from 9 a.m. to Noon ET and again from 1-5 p.m. ET.
“Races at Daytona International Speedway are unique to NASCAR competition, and Preseason Thunder will not only give all three of our national series an opportunity to test, but will allow us to settle upon a rules package that will benefit our teams and provide the best on-track action for our fans,” NASCAR vice president of competition Robin Pemberton said in a statement.
Daytona president Joie Chitwood III also chimed in, saying his track was happy to host all three national series.
“Having the Nationwide and Camping World Truck Series teams join the stars of the Sprint Cup Series in testing the high banks will ignite plenty of excitement for the start of the new NASCAR season,” he said in his own statement.
Additionally, NASCAR and DIS have announced two “Fan Fests” for those attending the Thunder sessions, complete with autograph sessions and question-and-answer opportunities with drivers.
The Sprint Cup Fan Fest will go off on Thursday, Jan. 9, and the Nationwide Series will have theirs on Saturday, Jan. 11. For those planning to be in the area, the tests will be free and open to the public with seating in the Oldfield Grandstands on the DIS frontstretch.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0