Sep 26, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
Charles Pic is set to make an early trip to Korea ahead of next weekend’s grand prix as he looks to adapt to the climate and location in time for the race on Sunday, comparing his preparations to those undertaken ahead of the Singapore Grand Prix.
Pic has enjoyed a strong season so far, proving himself to be the fastest of the four ‘backmarker’ runners from Caterham and Marussia across the course of the year. However, in recent races, teammate Giedo van der Garde has posed a stiff challenge to the Frenchman, but Pic will be keen on re-establishing his dominance in Yeongam next weekend.
“I’ll be back on the F1 trail as early as next Monday when I leave for South Korea,” Pic explained. “Like Singapore, I’m flying out early to get used to the time difference and climate.”
Despite the circuit not being a favorite among drivers and personnel travelling to Korea, Pic is a fan of the track which was intended to be half-permanent/half-street circuit.
“I must admit that I enjoy the Yeongam circuit, which has some excellent fast sections and three tricky hairpins. On the technical side, the big question will be tires. Last year we had a lot of problems with the fronts, while normally it’s the rears we have to look after, so it will be a case of monitoring if we have the same issues this time around. All we can do is wait and see.”
Pic’s future with Caterham is uncertain following Heikki Kovalainen’s entry into the race for a seat with the team in 2014. The Finn is thought to be in line to partner either Pic or van der Garde, placing pressure on the two current drivers for the rest of the season.
- Dixon’s latest title a story of consistency, comeback, typical “Ice Man” cool 0
- Double points reverse Montoya’s IndyCar championship hopes (VIDEO) 8
- Scott Dixon captures Sonoma race win and 2015 IndyCar championship (VIDEO) 12
- Robin Miller pays tribute to Justin Wilson (VIDEO) 3
- WATCH LIVE: IndyCar’s championship decided in Sonoma at 1 p.m. PT, 4 ET on NBCSN 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Sonoma (4 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0
- Porsche’s no. 17 car surges to maiden WEC victory in 6 Hours of Nürburgring 2