Sep 27, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Roger Penske has 15 Indianapolis 500 victories and Graham Rahal had the privilege to be IndyCar’s designated tester (along with Ryan Briscoe) for the IMS road course, and both expressed positive thoughts regarding the addition of IndyCar’s road course race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
“I think the road race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will add to the excitement surrounding the month of May in Indianapolis,” Penske said in a statement. “I am encouraged that the leadership at IMS and INDYCAR is exploring new opportunities to help elevate our sport. I have been coming to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway since 1951 and I have tremendous respect for the history and the heritage of this special facility. As someone who has been fortunate enough to win the Indy 500 and the inaugural Nationwide Series race at Indy, I can tell you that it would be great to win that first IndyCar race on the road course.”
Rahal took to social media to offer his thoughts.
“Official announcement due soon, but THRILLED to be doing a road race @IMS next May!” he tweeted mere moments before the announcement. “Times have changed, as are we. This is great news. The track was exciting and with the new changes being done this could be the fastest, and most exciting tracks to drive and spectate. Oh and fans guess what?!…….The MONTH of @IndyCar in May is back! Get exited, be supportive and this could be one of the best months ever!”
Video from NASCAR America
- Track executive arrested, charged with lewdness with 19-year-old 0
- Why Hendrick won’t retire the No. 24 6
- Brasilia IndyCar race is canceled 3
- Rick Hendrick: No pressure on Jeff Gordon in final season, he just has to win 14 races and championship 4
- Column: Chase Elliott’s promotion perfectly timed for NASCAR 11
- Chase Elliott will replace Jeff Gordon as No. 24 driver next season 5
- Truex’s girlfriend passes milestone in cancer recovery 0