Sep 27, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Roger Penske has 15 Indianapolis 500 victories and Graham Rahal had the privilege to be IndyCar’s designated tester (along with Ryan Briscoe) for the IMS road course, and both expressed positive thoughts regarding the addition of IndyCar’s road course race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
“I think the road race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway will add to the excitement surrounding the month of May in Indianapolis,” Penske said in a statement. “I am encouraged that the leadership at IMS and INDYCAR is exploring new opportunities to help elevate our sport. I have been coming to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway since 1951 and I have tremendous respect for the history and the heritage of this special facility. As someone who has been fortunate enough to win the Indy 500 and the inaugural Nationwide Series race at Indy, I can tell you that it would be great to win that first IndyCar race on the road course.”
Rahal took to social media to offer his thoughts.
“Official announcement due soon, but THRILLED to be doing a road race @IMS next May!” he tweeted mere moments before the announcement. “Times have changed, as are we. This is great news. The track was exciting and with the new changes being done this could be the fastest, and most exciting tracks to drive and spectate. Oh and fans guess what?!…….The MONTH of @IndyCar in May is back! Get exited, be supportive and this could be one of the best months ever!”
- Report: Alex Zanardi keen to make Indianapolis 500 debut 0
- Ten with Townsend: Milwaukee and Iowa debrief 0
- For Dixon, it’s likely Mid-Ohio or bust in terms of 2015 IndyCar title hopes 0
- Race Recap: Vettel draws level with Senna on all-time win list with victory in Hungary 3
- NHRA Mile-High Nationals winners: Torrence, Beckman, Morgan, Krawiec 2
- F1 grid unites to pay tribute to Jules Bianchi (VIDEO) 1
- F1 Paddock Pass: Hungarian GP post-race (VIDEO) 1