Sep 28, 2013, 8:37 PM EST
After a successful debut at the abrasive Atlanta Motor Speedway for its “zone tread” tire, Goodyear will bring back a second version of it for next weekend’s NASCAR events at Kansas Speedway.
For Kansas, Goodyear will combine the new right-side zone tire with a new left-side tire that’s designed to give drivers more grip. The combination, which will only be used by the Sprint Cup Series teams, was borne from a test at Kansas this past July that involved Greg Biffle, Kurt Busch, Kyle Busch and Ryan Newman.
“At Kansas, this will be the third race after the repave and we’ve recognized that the track seems to have lost some grip, but has not yet begun to wear tires,” Goodyear director of race tires Greg Stucker said in a statement. “To address that, we increased the grip on the left side of the car with a more tractive compound.
“With additional grip on the left, the cars will be much faster, again putting more stress on the right-side tire. So, we’ve utilized multi-zone tread technology to have the same compound that we’ve run there since the repave on the outside of the right-side tire to keep that level of traction, and paired it with a tougher, more heat resistant compound on the inboard three inches for endurance.”
As Stucker alludes to, the zone tires combine two separate compounds – a softer outside portion for better grip and a harder inside portion for better resistance.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)