Sep 28, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
Before Sprint Cup qualifying takes place on Oct. 10 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, the wives of multiple NASCAR drivers and figures will take on the track’s quarter-mile frontstretch oval in a 25-lap “Better Half Dash.”
The ladies will go racing in Bandolero cars and compete to earn sizable donations to charities such as Motor Racing Outreach and Speedway Children’s Charities.
A competition caution will be thrown at Lap 15, caution laps will not count toward the lap total, and there will be up to two green-white-checkered finishes if necessary.
Last year’s winner, Lyn-Z Pastrana – the wife of NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Travis Pastrana – will be in this year’s field to defend her title. The entry list also includes:
- Wendy Venturini, motorsports TV analyst
- Kristen Yeley, wife of driver J.J. Yeley
- Michelle Gilliland, wife of driver David Gilliland
- Ashley Stremme, wife of driver David Stremme
- Heidi Stoddard, wife of team owner Frank Stoddard
- Jessica Park, wife of driver Steve Park
- Gina Cope, wife of crew chief Ernie Cope
- Amy Gordon, wife of crew chief Todd Gordon
- Melanie Self, representing Motor Racing Outreach
The husbands will act as crew chiefs and spotters during the race but the ladies’ Bandoleros cannot have modifications made to their engine, chassis or suspension.
The race winner will receive a $10,000 donation, with half of that going to the winner’s choice of charity. $2,500 will go to MRO, and $2,500 will go to Speedway Children’s Charities.
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach and Barber debrief 0
- NHRA: Capps storms to 2nd win of season, Funny Car points lead 1
- Relief, gratitude define the day where Newgarden finally gets first win (VIDEO) 1
- Graham Rahal can’t close deal in runner-up finish at Barber 2
- Josef Newgarden scores his first IndyCar win at Barber 12
- WATCH LIVE: Honda Indy Grand Prix of Alabama at 3 p.m. ET on NBCSN, Live Extra 1
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Barber (3 p.m. ET, NBCSN and Live Extra) 0