Sep 28, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
Before Sprint Cup qualifying takes place on Oct. 10 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, the wives of multiple NASCAR drivers and figures will take on the track’s quarter-mile frontstretch oval in a 25-lap “Better Half Dash.”
The ladies will go racing in Bandolero cars and compete to earn sizable donations to charities such as Motor Racing Outreach and Speedway Children’s Charities.
A competition caution will be thrown at Lap 15, caution laps will not count toward the lap total, and there will be up to two green-white-checkered finishes if necessary.
Last year’s winner, Lyn-Z Pastrana – the wife of NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Travis Pastrana – will be in this year’s field to defend her title. The entry list also includes:
- Wendy Venturini, motorsports TV analyst
- Kristen Yeley, wife of driver J.J. Yeley
- Michelle Gilliland, wife of driver David Gilliland
- Ashley Stremme, wife of driver David Stremme
- Heidi Stoddard, wife of team owner Frank Stoddard
- Jessica Park, wife of driver Steve Park
- Gina Cope, wife of crew chief Ernie Cope
- Amy Gordon, wife of crew chief Todd Gordon
- Melanie Self, representing Motor Racing Outreach
The husbands will act as crew chiefs and spotters during the race but the ladies’ Bandoleros cannot have modifications made to their engine, chassis or suspension.
The race winner will receive a $10,000 donation, with half of that going to the winner’s choice of charity. $2,500 will go to MRO, and $2,500 will go to Speedway Children’s Charities.
- As NHRA closes in on 100 wins by female racers, it all started with one of the greatest, Shirley Muldowney 0
- Brad Keselowski: Changes overdue to Sprint Cup schedule; offers his ideas 4
- Richard Petty to return at Richmond, first race since wife Lynda’s death 1
- NASCAR VP: 2015 Sprint Cup engine package to be revealed before All-Star Race 0
- Too much, too fast, too soon: The sad saga of Swan Racing 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (13)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)