Sep 28, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
Before Sprint Cup qualifying takes place on Oct. 10 at Charlotte Motor Speedway, the wives of multiple NASCAR drivers and figures will take on the track’s quarter-mile frontstretch oval in a 25-lap “Better Half Dash.”
The ladies will go racing in Bandolero cars and compete to earn sizable donations to charities such as Motor Racing Outreach and Speedway Children’s Charities.
A competition caution will be thrown at Lap 15, caution laps will not count toward the lap total, and there will be up to two green-white-checkered finishes if necessary.
Last year’s winner, Lyn-Z Pastrana – the wife of NASCAR Nationwide Series driver Travis Pastrana – will be in this year’s field to defend her title. The entry list also includes:
- Wendy Venturini, motorsports TV analyst
- Kristen Yeley, wife of driver J.J. Yeley
- Michelle Gilliland, wife of driver David Gilliland
- Ashley Stremme, wife of driver David Stremme
- Heidi Stoddard, wife of team owner Frank Stoddard
- Jessica Park, wife of driver Steve Park
- Gina Cope, wife of crew chief Ernie Cope
- Amy Gordon, wife of crew chief Todd Gordon
- Melanie Self, representing Motor Racing Outreach
The husbands will act as crew chiefs and spotters during the race but the ladies’ Bandoleros cannot have modifications made to their engine, chassis or suspension.
The race winner will receive a $10,000 donation, with half of that going to the winner’s choice of charity. $2,500 will go to MRO, and $2,500 will go to Speedway Children’s Charities.
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 0
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 1
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Who are the new rookies in F1 this season? 1
- A save and a beauty from Matt Kenseth in Vegas (VIDEO) 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Busch news kicks off what may be a busy Tuesday for IndyCar (5)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)