Sep 28, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Sebastian Vettel may enjoy a sizeable championship lead of sixty points over closest-rival Fernando Alonso, but the German driver will not be easing off in the final six races of the season as he goes in search of a third consecutive Korean Grand Prix victory next weekend.
Vettel won the race at Yeongam in 2011 and 2012, and he may well have won the inaugural race in 2010, but he retired whilst leading due to an engine failure. However, he conceded that Red Bull may struggle on the long straights at the circuit.
“The track in Korea has a bit of an unusual layout,” Vettel said. “The long straights all come right at the beginning and the turns at the end. I love the curvy part because it is a lot more fun, whereas the straight lines and sharp turns can be a little boring. They are also our weakness, because we often lack in top speed there.”
Since becoming front-runners, Red Bull have traditionally excelled on the high downforce circuits and struggled at the faster tracks such as Monza and Montreal. However, this season, Vettel appears to have bucked this trend by winning in both Italy and Canada, suggesting that the long straights in Korea will not harm the team too much.
As well as chasing his third consecutive win in Korea, Vettel will be looking to claim his fourth win in a row in 2013. His recent run of form has created a championship lead that it is difficult to see him losing, with the Indian Grand Prix being the most likely location of his coronation as a four-time world champion.
- Report: Roger Penske intends to keep his ‘four aces’ in IndyCar 0
- Mario Andretti gets Jay Leno up to speed — and then some 0
- NHRA: Antron Brown looks to make Top Fuel fireworks this weekend 0
- MAVTV 500: Despite being nerve-racking to crazy, drivers glad safety won out 2
- WATCH: IndyCar’s frantic, thrilling MAVTV 500 to re-air at midnight ET on NBCSN 6
- Nelson Piquet Jr crowned first ever FIA Formula E champion in thrilling London finale 1
- Sarrazin takes surprise pole in wet London ePrix qualifying 3