Sep 29, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
Jean-Eric Vergne has said that he is expecting to be more competitive in Korea following a disappointing display at the Singapore Grand Prix last weekend.
The Frenchman could only finish fourteenth in the race at Marina Bay, being the last driver to take the checkered flag on the same lap as race winner Sebastian Vettel. However, he is confident of faring far better in Korea this weekend as he looks to repeat his eighth-place finish in last year’s race.
“We’re now going to circuits that should suit the car better than Singapore,” Vergne said. “I’m confident we can be competitive in Korea, a circuit I like and which has characteristics that should work in our favor.
“I finished there in P8 last year and I made my debut there in 2011, running in Friday morning’s free practice, so it’s got a few good memories for me as well. Let’s hope we can add a few more next week.”
Vergne has failed to replicate the form of teammate Daniel Ricciardo in recent races, with the Australian driver appearing to have been buoyed by Red Bull’s decision to hire him as Mark Webber’s replacement for 2014. However, Vergne has proven himself to be an adept wet weather driver, meaning that a rain shower in Korea this weekend could allow him to re-overtake Ricciardo in the drivers’ championship.
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 0
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
- Ricciardo Australian GP disqualification upheld by FIA 3
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- Clint Bowyer hits ‘white-of-your-eyes-fast’ speed of 217 mph in tire test at Michigan (13)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)