Sep 30, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
Force India co-owner Vijay Mallya says his team have not given up on beating McLaren to fifth place in the constructors’ championship this year.
The Silverstone-based team slipped behind McLaren at the Belgian Grand Prix. Their points-scoring rate has declined sharply since Pirelli introduced its latest tyre compounds at the German Grand Prix.
However Mallya is determined to take fifth place back from their rivals. “The objective has not changed,” he said.
“McLaren have a points lead over us, but they are not totally out of reach. As I’ve said before, turning on the tyres is paramount and we are working hard to achieve this. There are a lot of points on offer and we need to try and regain the performance level we showed in the first part of the season.”
The team lost a chance to out-score McLaren when Paul di Resta crashed out in the closing stages of the last race in Singapore.
“I think the race and strategy went very well for us,” said Mallya. “Without Paul’s incident we were looking at a potential sixth place finish because he was running ahead of Massa in any case.”
It shows the vast difference between what happens in qualifying and what happens in the race. We always knew after free practice that we had a bit of race pace and it came through on Sunday.”
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed 5
- Williams launches new livery, confirms Martini partnership 3
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix 4
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 5
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- UPDATED: FIA decision on Haas, new F1 teams delayed (5)
- BHA announces The Collection Auto Group and Castrol as sponsors; driver TBD (5)