Oct 1, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The relatively short 1.7-mile MD Anderson Cancer Center Speedway at Reliant Park should provide for plenty of action during this weekend’s Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston doubleheader (Sat., 3 p.m. ET and Sun., 1 p.m. ET on NBCSN/NBC Sports Live Extra).
As far as passing zones and hot spots go on this circuit, two immediately stand out. After drivers barrel through the dogleg main straightaway, they’ll have to hit the brakes hard to navigate a left-right chicane.
The chicane could wind up being a pretty hectic scene all weekend on starts and restarts, but especially at the beginning of Race 1 of the doubleheader, which will feature a standing start.
The other key point of the circuit is Turn 6, a 90-degree lefty that comes along after drivers have made their way around the historic Astrodome and down toward the ultra-modern Reliant Stadium (home of the NFL’s Houston Texans).
Those that get a proper exit off Turn 4 into the Astrodome-Stadium section can get into position to catch and pass going into Turn 6.
For a quick spin around this unique layout, watch the virtual lap video above.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR schedule reveals some potential 2015 IndyCar schedule hints; Texas IndyCar returns 2
- Kevin Harvick riled at Tony Stewart portrayal in Kevin Ward Jr. tragedy 87
- Like a good stew, 2015 Sprint Cup schedule and new Chase format need time to simmer for best taste 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: How did the 2015 schedule come together? (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR announces 2015 Sprint Cup, Nationwide, and Truck Series schedules (VIDEO) 4
- FIA won’t punish Nico Rosberg after Belgian GP incident with Lewis Hamilton 14
- Will Power once again in position for IndyCar title – but this time feels different 1