Oct 1, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
The relatively short 1.7-mile MD Anderson Cancer Center Speedway at Reliant Park should provide for plenty of action during this weekend’s Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston doubleheader (Sat., 3 p.m. ET and Sun., 1 p.m. ET on NBCSN/NBC Sports Live Extra).
As far as passing zones and hot spots go on this circuit, two immediately stand out. After drivers barrel through the dogleg main straightaway, they’ll have to hit the brakes hard to navigate a left-right chicane.
The chicane could wind up being a pretty hectic scene all weekend on starts and restarts, but especially at the beginning of Race 1 of the doubleheader, which will feature a standing start.
The other key point of the circuit is Turn 6, a 90-degree lefty that comes along after drivers have made their way around the historic Astrodome and down toward the ultra-modern Reliant Stadium (home of the NFL’s Houston Texans).
Those that get a proper exit off Turn 4 into the Astrodome-Stadium section can get into position to catch and pass going into Turn 6.
For a quick spin around this unique layout, watch the virtual lap video above.
- NHRA: ‘Fast Jack’ Beckman earns 5th Funny Car win of 2015; Brown (TF), McGaha (PS), Krawiec (PSM) also win 0
- After dream-fulfilling day, Graham Rahal isn’t worried anymore 0
- Graham Rahal now trails Montoya by nine points in IndyCar standings 1
- Karam’s Mid-Ohio spin triggers frustration, skepticism from IndyCar paddock 1
- Rahal scores dream win on home soil in Honda 200 at Mid-Ohio 2
- Helio Castroneves leads halfway through the Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio 0
- What to watch for: IndyCar at Mid-Ohio (1:30 p.m. ET, CNBC and Live Extra) 0