Oct 1, 2013, 7:00 PM EST
Tuesday in NASCAR is often “penalty day” and the first day of October was no exception for two members of the NASCAR Nationwide Series garage.
Penske Racing, whose race-winning No. 22 Discount Tires Ford driven by Joey Logano was too low in Nationwide post-race inspection after winning Saturday in Dover, has crew chief Jeremy Bullins fined $10,000 and team owner Roger Penske docked six entrant points in the owner’s championship.
Official violations for that car per NASCAR are: Sections 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing); 12-4J (any determination by NASCAR officials that the race equipment used in the event does not conform to the NASCAR rules detailed in Section 20-A of the NASCAR rule book, or has been approved by NASCAR prior to the event); and 20A-12.8.1(B) (the car failed to meet the minimum front car heights) of the 2013 rule book.
Elsewhere, Nelson Piquet Jr. was fined $10,000, required to participate in sensitivity training and placed on indefinite probation for violating NASCAR’s Code of Conduct policy.
Inflammatory, homophobic tweets posted Sept. 25 – since removed – were found to be in violation of Sections 7-5 (Code of Conduct) and 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing) of the 2013 NASCAR rule book.
“Nelson Piquet Jr. recently communicated an offensive and derogatory term that cannot be tolerated in our sport,” said Steve O’Donnell, NASCAR senior vice president of racing operations, in a statement. “NASCAR’s Code of Conduct explicitly spells out in the 2013 rule book our position regarding the use of disparaging terms. We expect our entire industry to abide by this Code.”
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 7
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 2
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)