Oct 1, 2013, 6:30 PM EDT
There’s been a driver exchange in the Firestone Indy Lights Series for Houston, although not one that goes down as an “official trade.”
Peter Dempsey and Juan Pablo Garcia will both be racing at Houston after all, in the seat occupied by the other the first 10 races this season.
Dempsey moves into the No. 2 Team Moore Racing entry, with support from TMR/Global Tubing/ALS Association. He had been replaced at Belardi Auto Racing when funding failed to develop to support him for the last two races.
“Team Moore Racing is giving me the opportunity to keep my title fight alive, and for that, I will always be thankful,” Dempsey said in a release. “I’d really like to thank all of my team sponsors along with my personal sponsors for making this all come together.”
He enters the weekend fifth in points and still with a remote shot at the championship, at 35 points behind leader Sage Karam. His teammate this weekend will be Conor Daly in the No. 22 car.
Garcia, meanwhile, takes over Dempsey’s seat at Belardi for the final two races at Houston and Fontana. He will race the No. 5 International/Mapfre/Euclid Chemical/TVC + Latino/AutoShow TV/Belardi Auto Racing entry, the team’s third car alongside teammates Jorge Goncalvez and Giancarlo Serenelli. Garcia ranks eighth in points this season.
A season-high 12 cars are entered with the eight full-season cars (three Schmidt, two Andretti, two Belardi, No. 2 Moore) plus Serenelli (No. 6 Belardi), Daly (No. 22 Moore), Axcil Jefferies (No. 28 BHA) and Matthew Di Leo (No. 56 MDL) also racing the streets of Houston.
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET 0
- It’s happy hour at Team Penske after Vegas sweep (VIDEO) 0
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)