Oct 3, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
Marussia have confirmed that Jules Bianchi will remain with the team for the 2014 Formula One season following a highly impressive debut year for the Anglo-Russian team.
Bianchi, who is a member of Ferrari’s driver academy, was drafted into the backmarkers’ line-up at the last second in pre-season after planned driver Luiz Razia’s funding fell through. In his opening few races, Bianchi was highly impressive, soundly beating closest-rivals Caterham and recording a thirteenth-place finish in Malaysia that has kept Marussia tenth in the constructors’ championship. With Ferrari supplying the team with engines in 2014, it was expected that Bianchi would be retained, but the Frenchman is delighted for the new to now be official.
“Obviously it’s a great feeling for me,” Bianchi explained. “It was a really late call this year and I’ve already signed for next year so it’s amazing for me. I’m really happy to stay with Marussia because I feel really confident with them, I feel like at home. So I hope it will be a great season next year and I really want to thank them for that.”
Bianchi has led Marussia’s charge on all fronts this season, with the Singapore Grand Prix being the first race in 2013 that he had finished behind teammate Max Chilton. It is yet to be confirmed whether or not the Brit will remain at Marussia next year.
For Bianchi though, he can renew battle with Caterham duo Charles Pic and Giedo van der Garde in the final six races of 2013 without worrying about his seat for 2014, and then turn attention to the raft of regulation changes set to take place for his second year in Formula One.
- After safety concerns, NASCAR announces changes to qualifying 1
- Red Bull’s Horner says Mercedes could lap field twice in Oz 0
- Complete 2014 F1 on NBC Sports TV Times, Schedule 1
- Keselowski’s crew chief on cooldown issue: “It’s a tough spot” 1
- IndyCar’s “nearly” man, Justin Wilson, set to overachieve once more 0
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)