Oct 4, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Friday had marked a big day for the father-and-daughter team of John and Courtney Force at the Auto-Plus NHRA Nationals in Maple Grove, Pa. in their Castrol and Traxxas Fords.
John posted the fifth-quickest run in NHRA history – no small feat given his illustrious career – at 3.987 seconds at a speed of 323.50 mph. Courtney Force ran a slower elapsed time – 4.025 – but a record speed of 329.42 mph.
Additional fastest qualifiers were Shawn Langdon (Top Fuel), Allen Johnson (Pro Stock), and Michael Ray (Pro Stock Motorcycle) were also No. 1 on the day. Final eliminations for the race are Sunday.
UPDATE, 2:10 p.m. ET, Saturday: What had been a record-setting day for Courtney Force with the 329.42 mph pass has, unfortunately, been changed.
The NHRA announced her run was not official due to a glare of sunlight into the speed trap beams, which triggered a malfunction.
“We noticed while Courtney was coming down the track, the sun was on the west side of the track behind the trees, as she come around the trees the car lit up which was not a problem,” Bob Brockmeyer, Compulink founder and a timing expert, explained to CompetitionPlus.com. “Right as she got to the 934 (foot) speed start block, there was a mirage on the track that just lit up completely underneath the front of the car.
“Then the sun was shining on the mirage created by the VHT on the track. The best we can tell, and we’ve seen this before, the sun probably bounced underneath the front of the car and with the car bouncing quite a bit, with the one little bump in the track right there, it probably didn’t bounce over the beam but it may have put enough clearance in the front with the sun and the mirage that it confused the infrared for .003 of a second.”
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1