Oct 4, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
Friday had marked a big day for the father-and-daughter team of John and Courtney Force at the Auto-Plus NHRA Nationals in Maple Grove, Pa. in their Castrol and Traxxas Fords.
John posted the fifth-quickest run in NHRA history – no small feat given his illustrious career – at 3.987 seconds at a speed of 323.50 mph. Courtney Force ran a slower elapsed time – 4.025 – but a record speed of 329.42 mph.
Additional fastest qualifiers were Shawn Langdon (Top Fuel), Allen Johnson (Pro Stock), and Michael Ray (Pro Stock Motorcycle) were also No. 1 on the day. Final eliminations for the race are Sunday.
UPDATE, 2:10 p.m. ET, Saturday: What had been a record-setting day for Courtney Force with the 329.42 mph pass has, unfortunately, been changed.
The NHRA announced her run was not official due to a glare of sunlight into the speed trap beams, which triggered a malfunction.
“We noticed while Courtney was coming down the track, the sun was on the west side of the track behind the trees, as she come around the trees the car lit up which was not a problem,” Bob Brockmeyer, Compulink founder and a timing expert, explained to CompetitionPlus.com. “Right as she got to the 934 (foot) speed start block, there was a mirage on the track that just lit up completely underneath the front of the car.
“Then the sun was shining on the mirage created by the VHT on the track. The best we can tell, and we’ve seen this before, the sun probably bounced underneath the front of the car and with the car bouncing quite a bit, with the one little bump in the track right there, it probably didn’t bounce over the beam but it may have put enough clearance in the front with the sun and the mirage that it confused the infrared for .003 of a second.”
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 0
- Hamilton weathers the storm to claim third British GP victory at Silverstone 0
- Hamilton storms to home pole position at British GP 3
- Hamilton closes out British GP practice fastest 0
- Rosberg fastest once again in second British GP practice 0