Oct 4, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
For only the sixth time in his entire career – and the first time since the 2006 fall race at New Hampshire Motor Speedway – Kevin Harvick will lead a NASCAR Sprint Cup field to the green flag this weekend.
Harvick, who sits fourth in the Chase for the Sprint Cup at 39 points behind leader Matt Kenseth, earned the pole for Sunday’s Hollywood Casino 400 at Kansas Speedway – the fourth race of this year’s post-season stretch – with a lap of 187.526 miles per hour in the No. 29 Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet.
In that 2006 race at the “Magic Mile,” Harvick converted the pole into a win. Considering the points gap between himself and Kenseth, he may need to do that again in order to make any gains against the 2003 Cup champion in the title picture.
Harvick is one of six Chase contenders that will line up within the Top 10 positions on Sunday’s grid. Jimmie Johnson, who moved into second place in the championship with his win last week at Dover, qualified third, followed by Joey Logano in fifth, Dale Earnhardt Jr. in sixth, Kenseth in seventh, and Carl Edwards in ninth.
Roush Fenway rookie Ricky Stenhouse Jr. was the fastest of the non-Chase drivers in qualifying, and will start alongside Harvick on the front row after putting down a lap of 187.480 miles per hour.
- Manor Marussia F1 confirms trip to Melbourne 3
- Agag: Formula E off to “incredible start” heading into U.S. swing 2
- Fernando Alonso ruled out of Australian Grand Prix 2
- Mercedes F1: Race to Repeat: Teaser clips and preview (VIDEO) 0
- F1, IndyCar seasons finally premiere in 2015’s version of March madness 1
- F1: Barcelona second test wrap, and 2015 test times cumulative roundup 0
- Michael Schumacher’s son Mick to race in ADAC F4 championship this season 3