Oct 4, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
After a delay of two and a half hours, the IZOD IndyCar Series finally began its weekend at the Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston with the first of two 45-minute practice sessions.
Will Power topped the opening practice with a lap of 1 minute, 6.8320 seconds around the 1.7-mile Reliant Park circuit, which is now featuring a temporary chicane at Turn 1. As detailed earlier, grinding will take place tonight at this spot of the course in order to completely alleviate this morning’s track surface issue.
Scott Dixon, who is trying to cut his 49-point gap to championship leader Helio Castroneves this weekend, was second-fastest (1 minute, 7.0793 seconds), followed by the three-time Indianapolis 500 winner Castroneves in third (1 minute, 7.1036 seconds), Ryan Hunter-Reay in fourth (1 minute, 7.2257 seconds) and Justin Wilson in fifth (1 minute, 7.3606 seconds).
Several incidents took place during the session. About midway through, Josef Newgarden clipped the second tire barrier that makes up the Turn 1 chicane and then slammed into the wall – delivering rear-end damage and more than a few scuffs to his chromed-out No. 67 Strike-backed Honda.
“I just overstepped a little bit in that chicane,” Newgarden said. “I think we’ll be OK. It’s a long weekend, we just got started, and we’ll just take a step back and try not to do that again.”
Then, in the latter moments of the session, Ryan Hunter-Reay briefly went airborne after running over the final curb of the Turn 2-3 chicane before he too found the wall. Justin Wilson also spun during the incident, but came away with his car undamaged.
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 3
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 4
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3
- IndyCar flashback: Justin Wilson finishes second, Will Power/Scott Dixon controversy at Sonoma 2013 (video) 3
- Report: FIA to conduct closed cockpit tests next month 15