Oct 4, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
Sebastian Vettel has conceded that there is room for improvement after finishing second in both practice sessions ahead of the Korean Grand Prix this weekend.
Vettel has dominated the past three grands prix, winning the last race in Singapore by over half a minute. Therefore, finishing second to Lewis Hamilton in both FP1 and FP2 came as something of a surprise, and the German driver admitted that there was still some time to be found.
“There is some room for improvement,” Vettel said. “It will be close with Mercedes; of course we’re not sure what others were doing with their fuel loads today, but it seems close ahead of tomorrow’s qualifying.”
Red Bull and Mercedes locked out the top four positions in both sessions on Friday as Ferrari and Lotus struggled to put up any sort of challenge. In the second practice session, less than two-tenths covered Hamilton, Vettel, Nico Rosberg and Mark Webber. For Webber, his challenge will be even greater thanks to a ten-place grid penalty he received in Singapore for picking up three reprimands for the stewards.
“We need to work on the balance,” Webber said. “It’s more about understanding the tires again and getting those working as well as possible. We need to work on both the short and long run balance, as obviously I’m going to be out of position after qualifying.”
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 0
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
- Ricciardo Australian GP disqualification upheld by FIA 3
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- Clint Bowyer hits ‘white-of-your-eyes-fast’ speed of 217 mph in tire test at Michigan (13)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)