Oct 5, 2013, 7:50 AM EST
Jules Bianchi has been hit with a three place grid penalty and a reprimand after he was adjudged to have held up Paul di Resta during the first part of qualifying for the Korean Grand Prix today.
Although di Resta did manage to make it through to Q2, the Scot was still incredibly upset about the incident that meant he could not improve his time with his final lap of the session, putting him at risk of being eliminated in Q1 for the second race in succession. Bianchi was sure after qualifying that he had not hindered the Force India driver in any way, but the stewards in Korea have decided to hit the Frenchman with a penalty and a reprimand.
“The driver of car number 22 [Bianchi] (on an out lap) was given a radio warning of the approach of car number 14 [di Resta] (on a fast lap) but decided to stay on line to start his own flying lap,” a statement from the stewards reads.
“The stewards consider that car number 22 could have safely allowed car number 14 to pass before starting his flying lap.”
Bianchi had qualified on the back row of the grid in twenty-first position, meaning that this penalty will see him drop one place behind teammate Max Chilton. This is also Bianchi’s second reprimand of the season, meaning that he will be subject to a ten place grid penalty should he pick up another sanction in the remaining six rounds of the season.
- Cost cap, double points for Abu Dhabi part of new FIA regulation changes 2
- Team co-owned by Leonardo DiCaprio is 10th and last for FE 1
- Franchitti’s ride appears down to Briscoe or Tagliani vs. the field 1
- Jay Mohr’s skewering monologue stars at NASCAR banquet (VIDEO) 1
- Todt re-elected as FIA President, plans “ambitious” second term 1
- Eddie Gossage: “Foolish move” by F1 to go head-to-head with NASCAR at Texas (12)
- GP of America organizers issue statement on race postponement (10)
- IndyCar TV sked for 2014 released; 13 races to be shown on NBCSN (9)
- NASCAR Sprint Cup silly season update for 2014 (8)
- Mark Miles talks about the road ahead for IndyCar (8)