Oct 5, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
Kyle Busch‘s horrible luck at Kansas Speedway continued during this morning’s Sprint Cup practice session, as his No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota hit the wall.
He qualified 18th yesterday for Sunday’s Hollywood Casino 400 but today’s wreck forced his team to bring out a backup car, meaning that he’ll have to start from the rear of the field for the race.
It’s a critical setback for “Rowdy,” who goes into this weekend third in the Chase for the Sprint Cup – trailing JGR teammate and championship leader Matt Kenseth by 12 points.
Additionally, his older brother and fellow Chaser, Kurt Busch, also found the wall during the morning practice. Kurt will have to go to a backup for Sunday, too; this causes him to abandon a 19th-place starting position.
Kyle was able to return in his backup No. 18 for the latter portions of the session, which also saw Kenseth spin out to trigger a late yellow. However, he escaped without damage sustained to his No. 20 JGR Toyota.
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)
- Report: F1 apparently headed for Azerbaijan in 2015 or 2016 (5)
- The Dos Equis guy will give NASCAR’s start your engines command in Las Vegas (5)