Oct 5, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
Kyle Busch‘s horrible luck at Kansas Speedway continued during this morning’s Sprint Cup practice session, as his No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota hit the wall.
He qualified 18th yesterday for Sunday’s Hollywood Casino 400 but today’s wreck forced his team to bring out a backup car, meaning that he’ll have to start from the rear of the field for the race.
It’s a critical setback for “Rowdy,” who goes into this weekend third in the Chase for the Sprint Cup – trailing JGR teammate and championship leader Matt Kenseth by 12 points.
Additionally, his older brother and fellow Chaser, Kurt Busch, also found the wall during the morning practice. Kurt will have to go to a backup for Sunday, too; this causes him to abandon a 19th-place starting position.
Kyle was able to return in his backup No. 18 for the latter portions of the session, which also saw Kenseth spin out to trigger a late yellow. However, he escaped without damage sustained to his No. 20 JGR Toyota.
- Castroneves secures pole in IndyCar qualifying at Long Beach 0
- Hamilton eases to fourth straight pole position in Bahrain 0
- Hamilton closes out Bahrain GP practice on top 0
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 1
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2