Oct 5, 2013, 12:02 PM EST
Kyle Busch‘s horrible luck at Kansas Speedway continued during this morning’s Sprint Cup practice session, as his No. 18 Joe Gibbs Racing Toyota hit the wall.
He qualified 18th yesterday for Sunday’s Hollywood Casino 400 but today’s wreck forced his team to bring out a backup car, meaning that he’ll have to start from the rear of the field for the race.
It’s a critical setback for “Rowdy,” who goes into this weekend third in the Chase for the Sprint Cup – trailing JGR teammate and championship leader Matt Kenseth by 12 points.
Additionally, his older brother and fellow Chaser, Kurt Busch, also found the wall during the morning practice. Kurt will have to go to a backup for Sunday, too; this causes him to abandon a 19th-place starting position.
Kyle was able to return in his backup No. 18 for the latter portions of the session, which also saw Kenseth spin out to trigger a late yellow. However, he escaped without damage sustained to his No. 20 JGR Toyota.
Video from NASCAR America
- 2014 F1 championship showdown preview: Lewis Hamilton 0
- Hamilton quickest in second practice for Abu Dhabi GP 0
- First blood to Hamilton in Abu Dhabi as he tops FP1 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1