Oct 5, 2013, 11:24 AM EST
An abbreviated warmup session this morning at the Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston served as the IZOD IndyCar Series’ first opportunity to test out the newly repaired Turn 1 section of the 1.7-mile Reliant Park circuit.
After Friday morning track activity was delayed because of a bump in that corner, a temporary chicane was installed for the afternoon and crews brought in grinders overnight to try and smooth out the surface.
However, during the 10-minute warmup run, the IndyCars were still catching brief periods of air as they went over the right-side portion of the repaired Turn 1.
We’ll see what impact the section will have on today’s qualifying session later this morning at 11:50 a.m. ET, and Race 1 this afternoon at 3 p.m. ET (NBCSN/NBC Sports Live Extra).
As for the session itself, Will Power was fastest with a time of 60.8275 seconds (96.7 mph), followed by Simon Pagenaud (61.3195 seconds) in second, Luca Filippi in third (61.3411 seconds), James Jakes in fourth (61.3903 seconds), and Mike Conway in fifth (61.4373 seconds).
Power was second-fastest across the two 45-minute practice sessions on Friday, right behind Justin Wilson.
Video from NASCAR America
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2
- Jeff Gordon’s legacy of success transcends generations 1
- Jeff Gordon announces 2015 as final full-time season 43
- NASCAR: Trackside shopping set to change as part of new Fanatics deal (UPDATED) 10
- Brian Vickers to return to racing at Las Vegas after health scare 9