Oct 5, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
An abbreviated warmup session this morning at the Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston served as the IZOD IndyCar Series’ first opportunity to test out the newly repaired Turn 1 section of the 1.7-mile Reliant Park circuit.
After Friday morning track activity was delayed because of a bump in that corner, a temporary chicane was installed for the afternoon and crews brought in grinders overnight to try and smooth out the surface.
However, during the 10-minute warmup run, the IndyCars were still catching brief periods of air as they went over the right-side portion of the repaired Turn 1.
We’ll see what impact the section will have on today’s qualifying session later this morning at 11:50 a.m. ET, and Race 1 this afternoon at 3 p.m. ET (NBCSN/NBC Sports Live Extra).
As for the session itself, Will Power was fastest with a time of 60.8275 seconds (96.7 mph), followed by Simon Pagenaud (61.3195 seconds) in second, Luca Filippi in third (61.3411 seconds), James Jakes in fourth (61.3903 seconds), and Mike Conway in fifth (61.4373 seconds).
Power was second-fastest across the two 45-minute practice sessions on Friday, right behind Justin Wilson.
Video from NASCAR America
- Feelin’ free: Frustrations end for Chase-bound Kahne, IndyCar champ Power 0
- Honda preps for first simulations, expresses confidence it can match Mercedes 1
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 0
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 1
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 2
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 3
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1