Oct 5, 2013, 11:24 AM EDT
An abbreviated warmup session this morning at the Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston served as the IZOD IndyCar Series’ first opportunity to test out the newly repaired Turn 1 section of the 1.7-mile Reliant Park circuit.
After Friday morning track activity was delayed because of a bump in that corner, a temporary chicane was installed for the afternoon and crews brought in grinders overnight to try and smooth out the surface.
However, during the 10-minute warmup run, the IndyCars were still catching brief periods of air as they went over the right-side portion of the repaired Turn 1.
We’ll see what impact the section will have on today’s qualifying session later this morning at 11:50 a.m. ET, and Race 1 this afternoon at 3 p.m. ET (NBCSN/NBC Sports Live Extra).
As for the session itself, Will Power was fastest with a time of 60.8275 seconds (96.7 mph), followed by Simon Pagenaud (61.3195 seconds) in second, Luca Filippi in third (61.3411 seconds), James Jakes in fourth (61.3903 seconds), and Mike Conway in fifth (61.4373 seconds).
Power was second-fastest across the two 45-minute practice sessions on Friday, right behind Justin Wilson.
Video from NASCAR America
- Caterham denies future is at risk despite goods being seized 2
- Simona de Silvestro’s F1 hopes at risk due to financial problems 11
- NASCAR AMERICA: Dale Earnhardt Jr. aims for better results in Chase (VIDEO) 1
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon, 24 team make statement at Dover (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend wrap-up: Was first Chase elimination race an exciting one? 0
- Tony Stewart speaks, cites overwhelming support in the search of return to normalcy 24
- Simon Pagenaud confirmed at Team Penske in fourth IndyCar 3