Oct 5, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Sauber have enjoyed their best qualifying result of the season as both Nico Hulkenberg and Esteban Gutierrez made it through to Q3, securing top ten grid positions for tomorrow’s Korean Grand Prix.
Gutierrez may have failed to score a point during his rookie season, but the Mexican driver proved in Singapore that he has great potential after qualifying tenth and running in P7 for a large part of the race before falling back in the final stages of the grand prix. In Korea, he has impressed once again in qualifying, comfortably getting through Q1 before scraping into Q3 and going on to finish ninth.
“I’ve improved my qualifying and once you have both cars working on a similar level you can push yourself a lot more,” Gutierrez said. “This is the first time I have driven here, so it is great to achieve a result like that. It is now the second time in a row I have been able to put in a good qualifying performance and that is a good feeling, because I have worked a lot to improve.”
Nico Hulkenberg qualified one place ahead of his teammate, and both drivers are set to move up one place on the grid thanks to Mark Webber’s ten place grid penalty.
“Today went really well,” Hulkenberg said. “Q1 and Q2 were like clockwork and my lap in Q3 was good too, but somehow it was more difficult, I was four tenths down on my Q2 time and the grip was not the same as in the previous session. To start P7 tomorrow is very positive and we can look forward to the race.”
Thanks to Russian investment, the team’s future has been secured with an extension of their engine deal with Ferrari being confirmed for 2014.
- What to watch for: IndyCar at St. Petersburg 0
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 4
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 7
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1
- Power on pole in Penske top-four sweep of St. Petersburg qualifying 1
- One spectator killed, others injured, at VLN Endurance event in Germany 4