Oct 6, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
The last-lap crash at the end of the Shell and Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston Race 2 affected three drivers, and also some fans sitting in a grandstand at Turn 13.
A report from Houston ABC-TV affiliate KTRK said at least 13 fans were injured from debris. Most were treated at the scene but two people have been transported to a local hospital.
Additionally, an IndyCar timing & scoring official has been taken to Herman Memorial Hospital for minor injuries.
The remainder of Sunday’s track activity – which included a race for the Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup – has been canceled.
Again, we’ll have more information when it becomes available.
Video from NASCAR America
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 6
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 7
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. featured in new concussion awareness initiative (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR AMERICA: Jeff Gordon’s “Drive For Five” continues at Martinsville (VIDEO) 0
- NASCAR won’t penalize Ryan Newman, No. 31 team for Talladega infraction 0
- Total CEO dies in Moscow plane crash 1