Oct 6, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
The last-lap crash at the end of the Shell and Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston Race 2 affected three drivers, and also some fans sitting in a grandstand at Turn 13.
A report from Houston ABC-TV affiliate KTRK said at least 13 fans were injured from debris. Most were treated at the scene but two people have been transported to a local hospital.
Additionally, an IndyCar timing & scoring official has been taken to Herman Memorial Hospital for minor injuries.
The remainder of Sunday’s track activity – which included a race for the Playboy Mazda MX-5 Cup – has been canceled.
Again, we’ll have more information when it becomes available.
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 2
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)