Oct 6, 2013, 3:42 PM EST
UPDATE, 3:50 p.m. ET: Franchitti’s team owner Chip Ganassi told NBCSN pit reporter Kevin Lee he spoke to Franchitti, after heading over to the scene of the accident on a scooter.
“I asked how he was doing, and he said, ‘Eh.’ His ankle is sore, and his back is sore, and he will be taken to the hospital. But he’s OK,” Ganassi said.
ORIGINAL, 3:40 p.m. ET: An accident has occurred on the last lap of the second race in the Shell and Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston doubleheader. Those involved include Dario Franchitti, who went airborne into the catch fencing at the Turn 5 right-hand sweeper, E.J. Viso and Takuma Sato, Franchitti’s car appeared to pirouette at the outside line of the catch fencing.
Medical crews are at the scene of the accident. Franchitti is out of his car and on a stretcher.
We will update this post as more information becomes available.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH: Race of Champions at 7 p.m. ET kicks off motors evening on NBCSN 0
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 0
- Kurt Busch calls ex-girlfriend’s allegations a ‘fabrication’ 14
- Fry, Tombazis out as part of Ferrari’s ongoing restructuring 1