Oct 6, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
UPDATE, 3:50 p.m. ET: Franchitti’s team owner Chip Ganassi told NBCSN pit reporter Kevin Lee he spoke to Franchitti, after heading over to the scene of the accident on a scooter.
“I asked how he was doing, and he said, ‘Eh.’ His ankle is sore, and his back is sore, and he will be taken to the hospital. But he’s OK,” Ganassi said.
ORIGINAL, 3:40 p.m. ET: An accident has occurred on the last lap of the second race in the Shell and Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston doubleheader. Those involved include Dario Franchitti, who went airborne into the catch fencing at the Turn 5 right-hand sweeper, E.J. Viso and Takuma Sato, Franchitti’s car appeared to pirouette at the outside line of the catch fencing.
Medical crews are at the scene of the accident. Franchitti is out of his car and on a stretcher.
We will update this post as more information becomes available.
- INDYCAR confirms more aero kit updates coming to Long Beach 0
- Rocky Moran Jr. to replace Huertas in Coyne’s No. 18 for Long Beach 7
- Rosberg heads up Mercedes one-two in Bahrain FP2 1
- Kimi Raikkonen quickest in first practice for Bahrain GP 2
- F1 Paddock Pass: Bahrain Grand Prix (VIDEO) 1
- 2015 Bahrain Grand Prix Preview 0
- Preview: Anyone’s game as IndyCar heads to historic Long Beach 1