Oct 6, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
UPDATE, 3:50 p.m. ET: Franchitti’s team owner Chip Ganassi told NBCSN pit reporter Kevin Lee he spoke to Franchitti, after heading over to the scene of the accident on a scooter.
“I asked how he was doing, and he said, ‘Eh.’ His ankle is sore, and his back is sore, and he will be taken to the hospital. But he’s OK,” Ganassi said.
ORIGINAL, 3:40 p.m. ET: An accident has occurred on the last lap of the second race in the Shell and Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston doubleheader. Those involved include Dario Franchitti, who went airborne into the catch fencing at the Turn 5 right-hand sweeper, E.J. Viso and Takuma Sato, Franchitti’s car appeared to pirouette at the outside line of the catch fencing.
Medical crews are at the scene of the accident. Franchitti is out of his car and on a stretcher.
We will update this post as more information becomes available.
- VIDEO: Vettel explains decision to not let Ricciardo past 2
- Chinese GP called two laps early after checkered flag mix-up 2
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” 14
- Hamilton makes it three with lights to flag victory in China 0
- WATCH LIVE: Can anyone spring a Shanghai surprise? 0
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (16)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)