Oct 6, 2013, 3:42 PM EDT
UPDATE, 3:50 p.m. ET: Franchitti’s team owner Chip Ganassi told NBCSN pit reporter Kevin Lee he spoke to Franchitti, after heading over to the scene of the accident on a scooter.
“I asked how he was doing, and he said, ‘Eh.’ His ankle is sore, and his back is sore, and he will be taken to the hospital. But he’s OK,” Ganassi said.
ORIGINAL, 3:40 p.m. ET: An accident has occurred on the last lap of the second race in the Shell and Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston doubleheader. Those involved include Dario Franchitti, who went airborne into the catch fencing at the Turn 5 right-hand sweeper, E.J. Viso and Takuma Sato, Franchitti’s car appeared to pirouette at the outside line of the catch fencing.
Medical crews are at the scene of the accident. Franchitti is out of his car and on a stretcher.
We will update this post as more information becomes available.
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25