Oct 6, 2013, 3:42 PM EST
UPDATE, 3:50 p.m. ET: Franchitti’s team owner Chip Ganassi told NBCSN pit reporter Kevin Lee he spoke to Franchitti, after heading over to the scene of the accident on a scooter.
“I asked how he was doing, and he said, ‘Eh.’ His ankle is sore, and his back is sore, and he will be taken to the hospital. But he’s OK,” Ganassi said.
ORIGINAL, 3:40 p.m. ET: An accident has occurred on the last lap of the second race in the Shell and Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston doubleheader. Those involved include Dario Franchitti, who went airborne into the catch fencing at the Turn 5 right-hand sweeper, E.J. Viso and Takuma Sato, Franchitti’s car appeared to pirouette at the outside line of the catch fencing.
Medical crews are at the scene of the accident. Franchitti is out of his car and on a stretcher.
We will update this post as more information becomes available.
Video from NASCAR America
- F1 Paddock Pass: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- The F1 champ is crowned on NBCSN from Abu Dhabi this weekend 0
- Alonso: My next move won’t be a surprise for anybody 0
- Will the weight of expectation prove to be too great for Lewis Hamilton in Abu Dhabi? 1
- With Vettel, Alonso, Mercedes and Renault all on the move, Abu Dhabi will mark the end of an era in F1 0
- 2014 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Preview 0
- Sebastian Vettel joins Ferrari for 2015 season, partnering Kimi Raikkonen 0