Oct 7, 2013, 3:35 PM EST
INDYCAR has released a further update on the medical condition of Target Chip Ganassi Racing driver Dario Franchitti, who sustained multiple injuries in a last-lap crash yesterday during Race 2 of the Shell/Pennzoil Grand Prix of Houston at Reliant Park.
Franchitti had surgery last night to stabilize the fractured right ankle he suffered in the accident, which saw him make contact with Takuma Sato in Turn 5 and then get airborne before slamming into the catch fence. The impact sent debris flying in all directions, including into a nearby fan section; 13 fans, along with an INDYCAR timing official, were treated for injuries.
In addition to his fractured ankle, Franchitti was admitted to a local Houston hospital yesterday for a concussion and two spinal fractures. Franchitti will remain in Houston for a few days, and then be transported to Indianapolis for further evaluation.
The three-time Indianapolis 500 winner also made a brief statement as part of today’s update from the series:
“Thank you to everyone for all the well wishes. They mean a lot to me. I would also like to send my best to all the fans involved in the accident and hope that everyone is alright.”
INDYCAR also issued the following statement on the accident today:
“Our thoughts remain with everyone affected by yesterday’s accident. Thank you to the people of Houston for their support of the Grand Prix and their concern for Dario Franchitti, the fans and race personnel. INDYCAR is thoroughly reviewing the incident. Reducing the risks that are associated with racing is one of our highest priorities and receives our constant and on-going focus.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 7
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Saturday 0
- Red Bull drivers excluded from qualifying in Abu Dhabi 2