Oct 7, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
Romain Grosjean played down the significance of a series of radio messages between him and Lotus during the Korean Grand Prix which culminated in team principal Eric Boullier getting involved.
Grosjean repeatedly complained to his race engineer Ayao Komatsu that he was being held up by team mate Kimi Raikkonen in the closing stages of the race. Raikkonen took advantage of a mistake by Grosjean to pass him in between the two Safety Car periods.
“I am stuck behind Kimi. I cannot do anything in sector two,” said Grosjean at one point, leading Komatsu to tell Grosjean “If we want to do anything you need to overtake him.” In subsequent messages Grosjean appeared to be urging his team to tell Raikkonen to let him pass.
After several further conversations team principal Eric Boullier came on the radio to tell him to “keep racing like it is”.
Once the chequered flag had fallen another team member told GrosjeanL “We’ll talk about this in the office afterwards but for now big [censored] smile on the podium.”
After the race Grosjean played down the exchange: “Our radio is quite bad, I have to say. I don’t hear most of the conversations.”
“I just made a mistake, Kimi could go for it and the unfortunately there was a yellow flag at turn three so I couldn’t get my place back. I was quicker today but then we have rules not to fight.”
- Cooler heads prevail as IndyCar drivers test at Texas (VIDEO) 0
- Jeff Gordon has bad news for his rivals: He’s thinking of racing for 10 more years 2
- NASCAR’s birthplace, the Streamline Hotel in Daytona Beach, to get significant makeover 0
- IndyCar remix: Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach (VIDEO) 0
- Ten with Townsend: Long Beach Debrief 2
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)