Hamilton says he and Alonso deserve to be racing at the front

Oct 7, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

F1 Grand Prix of Korea - Race Getty Images

Lewis Hamilton was not impressed at ending the race in fifth place. The Mercedes driver believes he and Fernando Alonso, who finished sixth, should have been fighting at the front of the field.

“Me and Fernando in fifth and sixth at the end having our own little race, yet we are of a higher caliber than that,” said Hamilton. “We should be further ahead fighting with the world champions at the front and with Sebastian [Vettel].”

Hamilton dropped back in the race when he suffered problems with his medium tires in the second stint. He was also held up by Nico Rosberg when his team mate’s front wing failed.

Hamilton added he sympathized with those who were tired of seeing Vettel win all the time.

“I feel for the fans because I remember watching when Michael Schumacher was winning,” he said.

“I remember watching the start, going to sleep, then waking up when it ended because I already knew what would happen. I am pretty sure a lot of people were doing that today. At least in my family there were!”

Vettel has won the last four races in a row and could claim the world championship for a fourth year in a row this weekend in Japan.

1. wiscpaul - Oct 7, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Yeah Lewis, and I want to lead a F1 race too. you don’t get to the front by driving around worn out tires lap after lap. Your team let you down, Vettel’s didn’t.
    and p.s. Kimi’s also ahead of you in the points.

• apexassassin - Oct 7, 2013 at 5:17 PM

Sorry.

I agree with your first two sentences… Pirelli have let us all down. But who’s call is that to leave Lewis out that long on used tires? That’s the call from the pitwall, not the driver. Also, as we all saw, Lewis was faster in S3 while Hulk was faster in S1, particularly through turns 1 and 2 which – along with KERS, saved him from the lame DRS easy-pass we were all expecting.

Personally, that duel, along with Alonso and Rosberg was a highlight of and otherwise boring season and that Lewis and Alonso are racing at the front, lol, so Lewis and his thinly veiled jealousy do nothing for me. Show up with a better car and better strategy next year and stop crying about this year! After all, if he wasn’t such a prat during his time at Mclaren, maybe he’d have gotten Webber’s seat for this year!

and ps. Di Resta leads Sutil in the points. Ok that’s random, but it’s also meaningless.

• furkmyster - Oct 7, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Pirelli has certainly been an issue this year, but the last 2 races specifically, when Vettel needed to push, nobody was close to him pace wise. If the tires were better, I bet it wouldn’t be as close as it is right now. I think in-race re-fueling needs to return, this would force everyone to push all the time, not the BS pirelli tire wear out races we are getting right now.

• apexassassin - Oct 7, 2013 at 5:30 PM

Unfortunately refueling doesn’t fit wth the “green” bullshit initiatives that are being enforced. Then again, neither are junk tires that don’t last 5 miles or an illogical schedule as well as more night races, lol. F1 is all about money, politics, and hypocrisy! :P

is it furkin friday yet, I’m thirsty!

2. Jeff - Oct 7, 2013 at 5:55 PM

Sounds like sour grapes to me. Hamilton and his team needs to get better.
    Personally I’m having fun watching Vettel dominate.
    His and his team’s par excellence should raise the bar for all other drivers and teams to emulate.
    And I’d love to see Vettel wrap up the championship in Japan this weekend. Hope he gets another grand slam.

3. f1fan13 - Oct 8, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I for one have had it with hamiltons ego and his crying. He qualifies great, but then he can’t run with pressure on him. No you don’t deserve to be up front. You are given a great car, race it. Alonso on the other hand, the Big Horse is not giving him such a good car. But he races it and makes the best of it.

• apexassassin - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I’m not a much of a Hamilton fan… I was really hoping he would mature with the move to Merc but it seems to have worn off about the same time he reunited with that transexual Sherzinger.

Seriously though, Lewis used to be an elite driver and he still is a great developement driver… just look at Mclaren without his input. Too bad he acts like a spoiled bitch and goes public with his sad little comments.

Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches