Oct 7, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
Three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Tony Stewart had his third surgery today on his right leg. It follows from the first two (first one immediately thereafter on Aug. 6, second one two days later) he had in August after his accident in a sprint car in Iowa.
This one was done as proactive measure to examine and close a wound on his shin, which stemmed from the broken tibia and fibula he sustained in the accident.
Stewart has targeted an early February 2014 return, outlined in his first media availability after his injuries, and this surgery is not expected to delay that process.
Video from NASCAR America
- Brendan Gaughan takes lead with 6 laps to go, wins Nationwide at Kentucky 0
- 16-year-old Cole Custer becomes youngest-ever winner of NASCAR national series race 0
- F1 Qualifying Analysis: Missed opportunities allow Hamilton to rule again 0
- Tyler Clary hopes to go from Olympic gold medal swimmer to NASCAR driver 0
- Hamilton snatches Singapore pole away from Rosberg 0
- Fernando Alonso closes out practice in Singapore fastest 0
- Brad Keselowski wins pole for Sunday’s Chase race at New Hampshire 0