Oct 7, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
Three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Tony Stewart had his third surgery today on his right leg. It follows from the first two (first one immediately thereafter on Aug. 6, second one two days later) he had in August after his accident in a sprint car in Iowa.
This one was done as proactive measure to examine and close a wound on his shin, which stemmed from the broken tibia and fibula he sustained in the accident.
Stewart has targeted an early February 2014 return, outlined in his first media availability after his injuries, and this surgery is not expected to delay that process.
Video from NASCAR America
- Kevin Harvick edges Jeff Gordon for Bristol Sprint Cup pole 0
- Will A.J. Allmendinger seek payback for Brad Daugherty’s practical joke? 0
- 2015 NASCAR Schedule to be Revealed Tuesday, 5 p.m. ET, on special NASCAR AMERICA 0
- Rossi disappointed, but diplomatic, after Marussia no-go 0
- Hamilton strikes back to top FP2 ahead of Rosberg in Belgium 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Belgian Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Rosberg leads Hamilton in first Belgian GP practice 0