Oct 7, 2013, 4:53 PM EST
Three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Tony Stewart had his third surgery today on his right leg. It follows from the first two (first one immediately thereafter on Aug. 6, second one two days later) he had in August after his accident in a sprint car in Iowa.
This one was done as proactive measure to examine and close a wound on his shin, which stemmed from the broken tibia and fibula he sustained in the accident.
Stewart has targeted an early February 2014 return, outlined in his first media availability after his injuries, and this surgery is not expected to delay that process.
Video from NASCAR America
- Weekend wrap: Lewis Hamilton back on top of the F1 mountain 2
- Maurizio Arrivabene replaces Marco Mattiacci as Ferrari team principal 4
- Abu Dhabi GP Paddock Notebook – Sunday 0
- Hamilton calls second title victory “the greatest day of my life” 3
- Hamilton clinches second F1 world title by winning Abu Dhabi GP 10
- The Final Showdown: Hamilton and Rosberg prepare for one final battle in Abu Dhabi 0
- Vettel and Ricciardo to start Abu Dhabi GP from pit lane 0