Oct 7, 2013, 4:53 PM EDT
Three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Tony Stewart had his third surgery today on his right leg. It follows from the first two (first one immediately thereafter on Aug. 6, second one two days later) he had in August after his accident in a sprint car in Iowa.
This one was done as proactive measure to examine and close a wound on his shin, which stemmed from the broken tibia and fibula he sustained in the accident.
Stewart has targeted an early February 2014 return, outlined in his first media availability after his injuries, and this surgery is not expected to delay that process.
Video from NASCAR America
- Hamilton quickest in first practice for United States GP 0
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 3
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 6
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0