Oct 7, 2013, 4:53 PM EST
Three-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series champion Tony Stewart had his third surgery today on his right leg. It follows from the first two (first one immediately thereafter on Aug. 6, second one two days later) he had in August after his accident in a sprint car in Iowa.
This one was done as proactive measure to examine and close a wound on his shin, which stemmed from the broken tibia and fibula he sustained in the accident.
Stewart has targeted an early February 2014 return, outlined in his first media availability after his injuries, and this surgery is not expected to delay that process.
Video from NASCAR America
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 2
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 1