Oct 7, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
Mark Webber has blasted Pirelli’s Formula One tires again after Sergio Perez suffered a tire explosion during the Korean Grand Prix.
Webber was following Perez at the time and picked up tire damage himself by running through the debris.
“That is how it is,” said Webber to The Telegraph after the race. “The drivers aren’t super important – it is what other people want.”
“The tyres are wearing a lot and they also explode a bit. But that is for Pirelli to sort out.”
Pirelli motorsport director Paul Hembery responded to Webber’s latest complaints, saying: “There are two issues here that Mark is conflating.”
“Firstly the situation with Sergio’s tire. It was nothing to do with delaminations earlier in the season. He had a major lock-up and flat-spotted.”
“The other issue about degradation is the same old story.”
Fernando Alonso also complained about Pirelli’s tires during the weekend, leading to a stinging response from Hembery in which he told Alonso to consult the “soon to be four-times-champion” Sebastian Vettel on how to get the best out of the rubber. Hembery later apologized for his remarks.
Hembery said Perez’s failure was no cause for concern: “We have been able to determine very quickly that it was the result of a flat spot caused by a lock-up under heavy braking.”
“We’re obviously on exactly the same construction as we raced here last year, so there’s no underlying problem, while flat spots or punctures have just always been an integral part of racing.”
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 0
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 0
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 0
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 1
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 1
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0