Oct 8, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT
When Jeff Burton announced a little more than a month ago he wouldn’t be racing with Richard Childress Racing in the No. 31 Chevrolet in 2014, I took that as a sign that his full-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series days could be over at age 46.
I’m now baking my humble pie in the oven in case I have to eat it. And I wouldn’t mind doing so.
Burton said during a NASCAR test at Martinsville Speedway today that he is close to a ride at the Cup level, but declined to provide further specifics.
“I can almost talk about it, but I just can’t,” Burton told NASCAR.com Tuesday. “A lot of stuff happened toward the end of last week and into (Monday). So yeah, it’s getting real clear to me what’s going to be going on. But I’m just not at the liberty to discuss it right now.”
Potential options could be the still vacant No. 78 Furniture Row Racing Chevrolet, left by Kurt Busch and turned down by Juan Pablo Montoya, or the former Phoenix Racing No. 51 Chevrolet now operated by Harry Scott Jr.
It remains to be seen whether this is just posturing or legitimate, but it will be interesting to watch for the next couple weeks.
Video from NASCAR America
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 1
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 5
- WATCH LIVE: NASCAR AMERICA at 5 p.m. ET for Martinsville outlook 0
- Caterham could miss Austin as crisis deepens at Leafield 2
- NHRA stunner: Jimmy Prock out as John Force’s crew chief 10
- Kurt Busch and Danica Patrick will swap crews at Stewart-Haas (UPDATED) 14
- Statement from Caterham provides unclear future for team’s plans (UPDATED) 3