Could Jeff Burton be near another full-time Cup ride?

Oct 8, 2013, 10:00 PM EDT

AdvoCare 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

When Jeff Burton announced a little more than a month ago he wouldn’t be racing with Richard Childress Racing in the No. 31 Chevrolet in 2014, I took that as a sign that his full-time NASCAR Sprint Cup Series days could be over at age 46.

I’m now baking my humble pie in the oven in case I have to eat it. And I wouldn’t mind doing so.

Burton said during a NASCAR test at Martinsville Speedway today that he is close to a ride at the Cup level, but declined to provide further specifics.

“I can almost talk about it, but I just can’t,” Burton told NASCAR.com Tuesday. “A lot of stuff happened toward the end of last week and into (Monday). So yeah, it’s getting real clear to me what’s going to be going on. But I’m just not at the liberty to discuss it right now.”

Potential options could be the still vacant No. 78 Furniture Row Racing Chevrolet, left by Kurt Busch and turned down by Juan Pablo Montoya, or the former Phoenix Racing No. 51 Chevrolet now operated by Harry Scott Jr.

It remains to be seen whether this is just posturing or legitimate, but it will be interesting to watch for the next couple weeks.

1. patrickmichaud - Oct 8, 2013 at 10:35 PM

He’s a good guy… Has giving a lot to the sport and it’s safety…would love to see him continue to race!

2. timaug - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:19 PM

OH COME ON.
    IF ANY TEAM IS SERIOUS ABOUT SIGNING HIM,
    THEY DESERVE TO LOSE.
    HIS DAYS ARE OVER.

• haynes1978 - Oct 9, 2013 at 8:18 AM

I disagree.

3. manik56 - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:25 PM

NASCAR needs a youth movement.

4. bmcgrath2 - Oct 8, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I wouldn’t think the Phoenix-Turner Scott Motorsport seat would be open, as I am pretty sure they are grooming Justin Allgaier for 2014 with Brandt sponsorship.

While Furniture Row seems to be the rumored favorite, I wouldn’t rule out either the 83 or 93 BK Racing seat. Reutimann and Kvapil are both unsigned for next year. Although they are running junkyard chassis and equipment, there’s a significant amount of money being thrown at that team, only to have been given backmarker results. A driver with Burton’s experience and talent could be attractive for them.

5. cwvines1971 - Oct 9, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Where did Kurt Busch go.He was doing significantly better with the 78 Furniture Row racing team.And Ryan Newman and Kevin Harvick are moving,but where are they going?

6. jets12 - Oct 9, 2013 at 7:15 AM

@cwvines1971 I hope your kidding.

7. indycarseries500 - Oct 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM

BK Racing probably has an opening.

Video from NASCAR America

Why Martinsville is one tricky track
Top 10 NASCAR Driver Searches