Oct 8, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Sinuous Suzuka with its demanding, high-speed turns and limited run-off is a firm favorite among many of the F1 drivers.
Among those looking forward to this weekend’s race is Romain Grosjean: “I know I won’t be the first one to say this, but Suzuka is definitely my favorite circuit of the year,” he said.
“Every driver has races that are special to them for one reason or another – a home Grand Prix, or the venue for their first win maybe – but I think if you ask most racers they will tell you there’s just something about this place that’s a little bit different.”
Valtteri Bottas only sampled the track for the first time last year and is anticipating his Suzuka race debut: “I drove in first practice last year and Suzuka immediately became my favorite track because of the high speed and the special corner combinations.”
Jenson Button says his 2011 Japanese Grand Prix win was “one of my most emotional victories, because it was the first Japanese Grand Prix after the terrible tsunami that devastated the north of Japan”.
“The thing I really like about Suzuka is that it’s such an unforgiving track,” said Button. “On most circuits, if you run wide or out-brake yourself, you invariably end up just running onto the Tarmac run-off, so you can easily get back onto the track without any penalty.”
“At Suzuka, if you run wide through the Esses, or go off the track at the exit of the Degners, you’re going to find yourself in the gravel. And I like that – I think it rewards those who don’t make mistakes, and it makes for better racing, because you have to stay honest and focused.”
- DiZinno: St. Pete provides solid 2015 season kickoff, but issues some warning signs 1
- Off The Grid Mexico Kicks Off on NBCSports.com (VIDEO) 0
- Spectator injured but in stable condition after being hit by debris at St. Pete race 4
- Experience trumps youth on IndyCar’s opening weekend with aero kits 3
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 2
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 2
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 6