Oct 8, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Sinuous Suzuka with its demanding, high-speed turns and limited run-off is a firm favorite among many of the F1 drivers.
Among those looking forward to this weekend’s race is Romain Grosjean: “I know I won’t be the first one to say this, but Suzuka is definitely my favorite circuit of the year,” he said.
“Every driver has races that are special to them for one reason or another – a home Grand Prix, or the venue for their first win maybe – but I think if you ask most racers they will tell you there’s just something about this place that’s a little bit different.”
Valtteri Bottas only sampled the track for the first time last year and is anticipating his Suzuka race debut: “I drove in first practice last year and Suzuka immediately became my favorite track because of the high speed and the special corner combinations.”
Jenson Button says his 2011 Japanese Grand Prix win was “one of my most emotional victories, because it was the first Japanese Grand Prix after the terrible tsunami that devastated the north of Japan”.
“The thing I really like about Suzuka is that it’s such an unforgiving track,” said Button. “On most circuits, if you run wide or out-brake yourself, you invariably end up just running onto the Tarmac run-off, so you can easily get back onto the track without any penalty.”
“At Suzuka, if you run wide through the Esses, or go off the track at the exit of the Degners, you’re going to find yourself in the gravel. And I like that – I think it rewards those who don’t make mistakes, and it makes for better racing, because you have to stay honest and focused.”
Video from NASCAR America
- It’s official: Tony Stewart to miss Bristol race, Jeff Burton to once again drive No. 14 1
- When — or will — Tony Stewart ever race again? 1
- Andre Lotterer confirmed for Caterham debut at Spa 5
- NASCAR: Joe Gibbs hopeful for eventual return of Tony Stewart 12
- The 2014 Milwaukee IndyFest weekend high on promise, with more positives than negatives 5
- NASCAR’s worst-kept secret is official: Carl Edwards joins Joe Gibbs Racing from 2015 4
- Report: Comcast’s Xfinity, NASCAR closer to series sponsorship deal 0