Oct 8, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
The most striking statistics from the Korean Grand Prix were all to do with the achievements of one man: Sebastian Vettel.
Back-to-back grand slams and hat-tricks
Vettel dominated proceedings in Korea. For the fourth time in his career – and the second race running – he started from pole position, led every lap and set fastest lap on his way to victory.
Only Jim Clark, Alberto Ascari and Michael Schumacher had more ‘grand slams’ in their F1 career than Vettel did.
Renault match Ferrari
Ferrari engines have powered 208 pole positions in their F1 history, which stretches back to the creation of the world championship in 1950.
But Renault, who only entered the sport in 1977, have now caught up with them. Vettel’s pole position in Korea was their 208th.
Vettel dominates Korea
The fourth running of the Korean Grand Prix was similar to the three preceding races at the track as it was mostly led by Vettel. Out of the 220 laps raced at the track he has led 208.
That statistic becomes even more impressive when you consider he was leading with ten laps to go in 2010 when his engine failed.
Gutierrez gets faster
For the second race running Esteban Gutierrez improved on his personal best qualifying position. This time he started eighth.
Vettel shoots for five-in-a-row
Heading into this weekend’s Japanese Grand Prix Vettel could achieve the rare feat of winning five consecutive races. Only five drivers have done this before – Clark, Ascari and Schumacher, plus Jack Brabham and Nigel Mansell.
- Bourdais quickest in opening practice at Mid-Ohio 0
- Hinchcliffe undergoes final surgery, now “can’t wait to be strapping back in” 1
- With 2016 plans undetermined, Newgarden focused on finishing 2015 strong 0
- Racing, music blend as Umphrey’s McGee partners with GTSport Racing for rest of 2015 PWC season 1
- Exploring what’s next for Derrick Walker as he announces he’s leaving IndyCar 0
- INDYCAR announces Derrick Walker has resigned from series 8
- Preview: Honda Indy 200 at Mid-Ohio critical in IndyCar title chase 1