Oct 9, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
AJ Allmendinger will race for Team Penske in the IZOD IndyCar Series finale – and with sponsor IZOD, which had backed him earlier this year.
“I’m looking forward to racing the IZOD Chevy in the IndyCar season finale,” Allmendinger said in a team statement. “It’s always a great opportunity to compete for Team Penske and I had great time and a solid result racing the IZOD car in the last 500-mile race back in May at the Indianapolis 500. Hopefully, we can close out the season with another good finish for Team Penske and for Chevrolet.”
The ‘Dinger, who has made five prior starts this year (Barber, Long Beach, Indianapolis, Detroit doubleheader), will put his Penske Racing winning streak on the line in the No. 2 IZOD Chevrolet as a third entry alongside Helio Castroneves and Will Power.
Shell confirmed the move via its Twitter page: “Looking forward to seeing @AJDinger back in the No. 2 @penskeracing #IndyCar at @ACSupdates !!” as did Penske Racing president Tim Cindric: “@AJDinger are you ready to put your @penskeracing winning streak on the line @ACSupdates ??”
Castroneves lost his points lead in Houston and now trails Scott Dixon by 25 points entering the MAVTV 500 on October 19 at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, Calif.
Allmendinger starred in his Indianapolis 500 debut, leading 23 laps and finishing seventh. But his most recent IndyCar outing was a disaster in Detroit, with two first-lap crashes on back-to-back days. Adding insult to injury, he was driving a car sponsored by Quicken Loans in a race where that was also promoted by Penske, and sponsored by Quicken Loans.
Now, he’ll play gunner to Castroneves and Power for 500 miles on October 19.
UPDATED: Allmendinger’s sponsor will be IZOD, not Shell/Pennzoil as originally stated.
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 2
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)