Oct 9, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Nico Hulkenberg days he wants a decision on his future by the end of the month as he does not want to find himself without a seat next year.
Hulkenberg was left without a seat following his first year in F1 with Williams in 2010 and wants to avoid a repeat.
“I want to have some certainty about my future – and not in November,” Hulkenberg told Autosport.
“I have experienced falling over the back in 2010, and I am not going to risk doing that again.”
Hulkenberg has impressed many with his recent performance for Sauber after the team struggled in the first half of the season. He qualified third and finish fifth in Italy, then took fourth place in the Korean Grand Prix last weekend.
Lotus team principal Eric Boullier has hinted he is considering hiring Hulkenberg for next year by saying he would not be swayed by the issue of driver weight. Hulkenberg is one of the tallest and therefore heavier drivers on the grid, and weight will be especially crucial next year due to the new engine regulations.
“We’re more interested in the talent and potential of a driver rather than the difference of a few kilos,” said Boullier, who is searching for a replacement for the Ferrari-bound Kimi Raikkonen.
Video from NASCAR America
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 1
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0