Oct 9, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
McLaren have spoken to three different F1 teams about placing their young driver Kevin Magnussen in their squads for 2014.
Lotus, Force India and Marussia have all been approached about the possibility of running Magnussen, son of former F1 driver Jan Magnussen.
Marussia have already confirmed Jules Bianchi will continue to drive for them next year while Romain Grosjean and Paul di Resta are considered likely to remain at Lotus and Force India respectively.
Magnussen (pictured with Jenson Button) is a sophomore driver in the Formula Renault 3.5 championship and leads the standings with two races remaining. The only driver who can keep him from the title is yellow McLaren junior driver, the rookie Stoffel Vandoorne.
McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said he’d like to get both drivers into Formula One in the near future.
“One way or another we’ll find a way,” said Whitmarsh about McLaren’s efforts to place them in F1.
“They both deserve it. “They are both going to be Formula One drivers in the future. It’s a question of how quickly we get them there. They are young enough, they don’t have to get there next year.”
Jan Magnussen made his grand prix debut in a one-off start for McLaren 18 years ago. He later spent a season and a half driving for Stewart before being dropped.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 4
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Andretti drivers say GP of Long Beach should stay with IndyCar (7)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)