Oct 9, 2013, 5:23 PM EDT
NBC affiliate WCNC in North Carolina and USA Today have reported NASCAR Sprint Cup Series driver Travis Kvapil, driver of the No. 93 Burger King/Dr Pepper Toyota for BK Racing, has been arrested for allegedly assaulting his wife. The USA Today update confirmed Kvapil had been charged with assault and false imprisonment.
He was arrested Tuesday in Mooresville, N.C., booked Tuesday night in Iredell County and freed on bond Wednesday, according to the USA Today update.
Making matters worse is that the BK Racing team was supporting Domestic Violence Awareness Month this month, so this would kind of go against that in a big way.
A team spokeswoman said the team had no comment at this time.
Kvapil, 37, is a native of Janesville, Wis. and the 2003 NASCAR Camping World Truck Series champion. Right now Kvapil ranks 31st in the points standings, second worst of all full-time drivers, and only ahead of his BKR teammate David Reutimann in 33rd. Kvapil has a best finish of 16th at Bristol in August.
- Raikkonen: Yes, he’s still motivated, otherwise he wouldn’t be here 3
- Red Bull tweaks Mercedes over attempt to increase ‘Fuelgate’ punishment 3
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal 9
- Mercedes’ domination: Equivalent or different from Red Bull’s? 2
- Who is better off? 2013 vs 2014 F1 points comparison 0
More from NASCAR America
- VIDEO: Vettel ignores team orders, telling team “tough luck” (20)
- Alonso’s doing it again – another year outperforming teammate, equipment (11)
- NASCAR still humming along after last fall’s Richmond scandal (9)
- In re-released interview, Brad Keselowski recalls how Rick Hendrick left him heartbroken (8)
- Maldonado brushes off crash and spin in practice (7)