Oct 9, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT
Multiple teams are continuing a two-day test session this afternoon at Martinsville Speedway, which will play host to the seventh race of the 2013 Chase for the Sprint Cup – the Goody’s Headache Relief Shot 500 – on Oct. 27.
Among those testing on NASCAR’s shortest track are the entire stables of Roush Fenway Racing (Greg Biffle, Carl Edwards and Ricky Stenhouse Jr.), Richard Childress Racing (Kansas winner Kevin Harvick, Jeff Burton, and Paul Menard) and Penske Racing (Joey Logano and Brad Keselowski), as well as Furniture Row Racing’s Kurt Busch, Front Row Motorsports’ David Ragan, and Earnhardt Ganassi Racing’s Kyle Larson.
The test is obviously important for everyone involved, but Larson may well be the one that needs it the most. The 21-year-old phenom, who is slated to make his first Sprint Cup start this weekend at Charlotte Motor Speedway for Phoenix Racing, said in a track press release that his main objective was being able to get out of Martinsville’s tight corners with a good head of steam.
“We’re mainly working on getting through the center [of the turns] and getting good drive off,” Larson said on Tuesday at Martinsville, a track he hadn’t even seen before the test session. “I’ve never been to a track with the long straights and tight corners like this.
“We’ve got pretty good on the long runs. We’re not the fastest, but not the slowest either. We’ve got to get a little better, but I think we’ll be OK for race weekend.”
Video from NASCAR America
- Kenseth clinches Chase berth; Bowyer falls out of Grid with one race to go 0
- Kasey Kahne rallies in last 2 laps to win at Atlanta, makes Chase 0
- Tony Stewart’s comeback hopes end with rough 41st-place finish at Atlanta 0
- Tony Stewart the obvious fan favorite during pre-race introductions at Atlanta 1
- Still searching: Castroneves finishes 14th, falls short of IndyCar title (VIDEO) 1
- Will Power claims 2014 IndyCar title as Tony Kanaan ties season win record in Fontana 1
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. on Tony Stewart’s return to racing: ‘I’m sure that’s where he wants to be’ 0