Oct 10, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
The most iconic race in Australian V8 Supercars – perhaps the most iconic in all of Australia, and one that is known worldwide – occurs this weekend. October 10-13 sees the V8s tackle Mount Panorama for the 2013 running of the Supercheap Auto Bathurst 1000.
Holden has won the race each of the last four years, most recently with Jamie Whincup and Paul Dumbrell a year ago. The 2012 race though saw the emergence of new talent David Reynolds, who co-drove a Rod Nash Racing-entered Ford Falcon to second with veteran Dean Canto.
Whincup and Dumbrell lead the 29-car field that, until this year, was comprised solely of Holdens and Fords. But a new wrinkle this year is the addition of Mercedes-Benz and Nissan to the field. There are two MB E63 AMGs along with four Nissan Altimas.
And there’s a handful of familiar names to U.S. fans in the field, even though most of the drivers are Australian. Ryan Briscoe continues his season-long world tour of driving different cars, co-driving with Australian legend Russell Ingall in the No. 66 Supercheap Auto Holden Commodore. American Le Mans Series regular Jeroen Bleekemolen co-drives with Shane van Gisbergen in the No. 97 VIP Petfoods Holden.
Ex-Audi factory driver Alexandre Premat is in the field as is current Porsche factory shoe Marc Lieb.
More information can be found on the series’ official website. Newly announced Wednesday was that the commentary will be done by the excellent Radio Le Mans crew.
Video from NASCAR America
- Jeff Gordon would love to return to Saturday Night Live — and he wants to bring Ricky Funck with him (video) 0
- 2-for-1: Jamie McMurray wins Martinsville pole, sets track record 0
- Caterham given dispensation to miss Austin and Brazil 2
- Caterham the latest team to fall foul of the Leafield ‘curse’ 1
- Administrator takes over running of Caterham F1 Team 1
- Remembering the Hendrick Motorsports airplane tragedy: 10 years later, it still seems like just yesterday 3
- Talladega mystery: Did missing woman even make it to NASCAR race? Second fan to disappear in 18 months 14