Oct 11, 2013, 12:30 PM EDT
Travis Kvapil expressed disappointment in his first public comments Thursday night following his arrest for alleged assault earlier this week. The driver of the No. 93 BK Racing Toyota spoke with the media after his qualifying run at Charlotte Motor Speedway; he qualified 41st for Saturday night’s Bank of America 500.
NASCAR and his team had issued statements after it was announced Kvapil would still race this weekend.
“Obviously there was a domestic situation Tuesday night with my wife, and regret that that happened,” Kvapil said. “Because it is a family, personal matter, we ask for respect and privacy in this situation, and we’ll try to work it out together as a family. Obviously embarrassed about the situation. Don’t like the negative effects that is has brought on, so I apologize to NASCAR, my team, the owners of my team, my fans, and anyone else who was impacted by what happened Tuesday night.”
Kvapil added it was an “eye-opening experience,” and said his first concern was with his children in the incident. Only once that was resolved would he turn his attention to being in team’s car this weekend.
“I’ve had lot of conversations with my owner Ron Devine,” he said. “He’s been a huge supporter of mine, last year and a half with this brand new race team. He asked if I can get the job done, I said yes. I step into this garage, focused on doing the best job we can.”
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1