Oct 11, 2013, 10:27 PM EST
After the yellow came out on Lap 156 for an incident involving Jeffrey Earnhardt, Busch was able to take the lead from Kyle Larson during the subsequent stops on pit road. But Sam Hornish Jr. wouldn’t let Busch run away and with 20 laps to go, he was able to pass “Rowdy” for the lead in Turn 1.
Busch fell into a battle for second with Austin Dillon, but took advantage of lapped traffic in order to keep his spot. He was then able to reel in Hornish, the former Indianapolis 500 champion, and with the two once again facing traffic, Busch got by Hornish on the high line in Turn 2 for what would be the race-winning pass.
“Here on the racetrack, it was certainly fun,” Busch told ESPN in Victory Lane. “It was challenging tonight, and I think I had the Good Lord riding with me at the end. I lost the lead and I didn’t think we’d win the thing, and somehow, I got to the top and started making time and I was able to get back up there.”
Dillon, the NNS championship leader, was able to peel second place off of Hornish with five laps left to essentially create a draw tonight in their title battle among each other. With the series now heading for a couple of weeks off, Dillon holds an eight-point edge over Hornish. Kevin Harvick and Matt Kenseth completed the Top 5.
As for Larson, he looked ready to battle back after dropping to fifth following those aforementioned stops. He quickly charged to third on the high line, but was unable to advance any further and then with less than 20 laps remaining, he pancaked the wall and steadily began falling to an eventual 13th-place finish.
Video from NASCAR America
- Rex White, NASCAR Hall of Fame driver — and storyteller 1
- Is a NASCAR TV analyst career in Jeff Gordon’s future? ‘I’d entertain it’ 2
- After wedding and winter to reflect, Joey Logano looks for more in 2015 2
- Jeff Gordon’s legacy of success transcends generations 1
- Jeff Gordon announces 2015 as final full-time season 43
- NASCAR: Trackside shopping set to change as part of new Fanatics deal (UPDATED) 10
- Brian Vickers to return to racing at Las Vegas after health scare 9