Oct 11, 2013, 9:00 PM EDT
As part of Germain Racing’s jump to Chevrolet next season, the team – which currently fields the No. 13 Toyota for Casey Mears in the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series – will form a technical alliance with powerhouse Richard Childress Racing starting next year.
According to an RCR release, the alliance will feature technology sharing, engineering, research and development, and also see the Germain No. 13 use ECR Engines. Germain has fielded a Sprint Cup program since the 2009 campaign, and has earned two Camping World Truck Series championships (2006, 2010) in its history.
“Richard Childress and RCR have an extremely competitive program with a long history of winning races and championships,” Germain Racing team owner Bob Germain, Jr. said in a statement. “They have great people and tremendous resources which will allow us to continue to improve our GEICO team’s performance in 2014 and beyond.”
Mears and Germain have just one Top-10 this season, a ninth-place result in July’s Coke Zero 400 at Daytona. However, the alliance will allow Mears to get re-acquainted with RCR after he ran for them in 2009; he collected four Top-10s that year in the No. 07 Chevy.
“We are very pleased to have a team like Germain Racing become our partner,” RCR owner Richard Childress said. “Bob and his team have been very committed to this sport and worked hard to improve every year.
“We have worked with Casey before and he’s a very talented driver. We look forward to working with him and his crew chief Bootie Barker.”
- NHRA: Jack Beckman (54 races), Larry Morgan (120 races) snap lengthy winless streaks in 4-Wide Nationals 0
- Montoya’s evolution evident after statement victory in St. Pete 1
- Montoya ekes out win in St. Petersburg season opener 2
- Emotional Vettel revels in first victory for Ferrari 5
- Vettel claims shock win for Ferrari in Malaysia as Mercedes pays for strategy mistake 9
- NHRA: C. Force, Todd, McGaha and Arana Jr. qualify No. 1 for 4-Wide Nationals eliminations 0
- Teaser clip: F1 on NBC’s “Off the Grid” hits Mexico (VIDEO) 1