Oct 12, 2013, 6:31 PM EST
Kyle Busch has had plenty of success at Charlotte Motor Speedway, as his 13 career wins there across the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series and Nationwide Series can attest.
But if he wants a chance to win the 2013 Chase for the Sprint Cup, he may need to pull off his first Cup win at CMS tonight in the Bank of America 500.
Busch came on late and won last night’s NNS race on the 1.5-mile oval, but he still faces the task tonight of erasing his hellish afternoon last Sunday at Kansas Speedway.
His DNF in the Heartland knocked him to fifth in the standings at 35 points behind Matt Kenseth. But after scoring his 11th NNS win of the season, Busch naturally said Kansas was out of sight and out of mind for him.
“Seems like I can figure it out [at Charlotte] in Truck and Nationwide, but seem to have a little bit of a struggle on the Cup side,” Busch said. “We’ll see if we can’t change that around [tonight]. I’d certainly like to be able to put that M&M’s Camry in victory lane and score my first Cup Series win here, as well as [crew chief] Dave Rogers’ first Cup Series win here and the first one for JGR [Joe Gibbs Racing] in awhile.”
“It would be a big win for us and put us back in the points race on the Cup side as well too and prove to people that we’re not giving up after last week. Last week is last week — it’s over, it’s done with and we’re moving forward. We’re a threat to be reckoned with still for this championship on the Cup side.”
As Busch alluded to, his Joe Gibbs Racing team has not been able to win at CMS since Tony Stewart won the fall race back in 2003. Busch has come close in recent years to snapping that victory drought, recording a pair of runner-up finishes in the 2010 and 2011 fall events, as well as third and fifth-place finishes in both of the 2012 events.
In this past May’s Coca-Cola 600, he finished 38th after his engine let go on Lap 257 of 400.
- Joey Logano wins Vegas pole, Penske claims front row again 0
- 5 storylines that could define the 2014 F1 season 1
- Indianapolis 500 2014 Qualifying Format Revealed 5
- Schumacher “still in the wake up phase” 0
- Driver, team owner and now actor: Tony Stewart’s first edition of ‘Smoke is The Bandit’ is released (video) 0
- Instead of significant improvement, 2014 starting off the way 2013 ended for Danica Patrick (10)
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (6)
- Disastrous day for Red Bull as Vettel manages just half a lap (5)