Oct 12, 2013, 11:00 AM EDT
McLaren have confirmed that Red Bull’s head of aerodynamics Peter Prodromou will join the team at the end of his current contract with the world champions to coincide with the return of Honda in 2015.
Prodromou has been instrumental in Red Bull’s dominance of the sport over the past four years, working with technical guru Adrian Newey at Milton Keynes. McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said in Korea that the team would be announcing some “impressive” backroom signings in the coming weeks, and Prodromou appears to be the first of these.
“We do have to remember that the contract Peter has at the moment is a Red Bull contract and I have to respect that,” McLaren’s managing director Jonathan Neale explained to journalists in Japan. “It’s for them to talk about what his terms are and what his leave dates are.
“But in terms of our position then, yes, we have recruited Peter. We are really excited about him joining the team.”
Prodromou will return to McLaren at the end of his contract in 2015, having worked for the team between 2000 and 2005 under Newey.
McLaren have endured a difficult year in 2013 thanks to problems with the MP4-28 car, but plans are slowly coming together for the Woking-based outfit to bounce back when their new partnership with Honda begins in 2015.
Rumors continue to persist suggesting that Ross Brawn could leave Mercedes to join McLaren, but he is yet to make a final decision about his future.
- DiZinno: Daytona fence crash ripple effect could extend to other motorsports 0
- Ten with Townsend: Red Bull GRC 4 races in, post-MCAS New River 0
- Smiling Through the Rain: Silverstone proved that it isn’t all doom and gloom in F1 1
- NHRA: Anderson wins 4th of ’15, Stoffer over Sampey in 3rd all-female final in NHRA history; Kalitta, Beckman also win 1
- Ken Block seizes opportunity, wins Red Bull GRC at MCAS New River 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: British Grand Prix post-race (VIDEO) 0
- Emotional Hamilton tears up on last lap of British GP, thanks fans for support en route to win 1