Oct 13, 2013, 1:45 AM EDT
Mark Webber took full advantage of Sebastian Vettel’s KERS failure during the final stage of qualifying yesterday to secure his first pole position of the season, and the Australian will be keen on picking up his maiden win in his swansong year ahead of his retirement at the end of the season. However, with the German driver mathematically able to seal his fourth world title this weekend, will the team ask Webber to move aside should results allow for Vettel to clinch it at Suzuka?
Following qualifying, there have been a few changes at the back of the grid:
- Jules Bianchi and Charles Pic were both handed a ten place grid penalty for picking up three reprimands across the course of the season.
- Adrian Sutil received a five place grid penalty after a gearbox change following a crash in FP3 on Friday.
- Charles Pic has a drive-through penalty for passing a red light during qualifying. He must take the penalty within the first five laps of the race.
Interestingly, as the penalties are applied in the order they are received, Bianchi actually gains one position on the grid despite qualifying last and receiving a ten place penalty.
Provisional grid for the Japanese Grand Prix
1 Mark Webber Red Bull
2 Sebastian Vettel Red Bull
3 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes
4 Romain Grosjean Lotus
5 Felipe Massa Ferrari
6 Nico Rosberg Mercedes
7 Nico Hulkenberg Sauber
8 Fernando Alonso Ferrari
9 Kimi Raikkonen Lotus
10 Jenson Button McLaren
11 Sergio Perez McLaren
12 Paul di Resta Force India
13 Valtteri Bottas Williams
14 Esteban Gutierrez Sauber
15 Pastor Maldonado Williams
16 Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso
17 Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso
18 Max Chilton Marussia
19 Giedo van der Garde Caterham
20 Charles Pic Caterham
21 Jules Bianchi Marussia
22 Adrian Sutil Force India
- Hamilton snatches Singapore pole away from Rosberg 0
- Fernando Alonso closes out practice in Singapore fastest 0
- Brad Keselowski wins pole for Sunday’s Chase race at New Hampshire 0
- F1 Friday Analysis: Is Lewis the man to beat? 0
- Hamilton tops FP2 as night falls in Singapore 0
- F1 Paddock Pass: Singapore Grand Prix (VIDEO) 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Singapore GP 0