Oct 13, 2013, 7:30 AM EDT
Sebastian Vettel has said that his win in today’s Japanese Grand Prix was “very rewarding” as he battled back from a poor start to fight off teammate Mark Webber and Lotus’ Romain Grosjean to win the race by seven seconds on Sunday.
Vettel has been on a dominant run of form since the summer break, winning the past four races with relative ease heading into this weekend. However, it is clear that this was an important win for Red Bull and Vettel as he had to push throughout the race to make up the lost time.
“A very rewarding win today, it’s a great feeling,” Vettel said after the race. “I love this track and it’s just fantastic to win here.”
This marks Vettel’s fourth win at Suzuka in five years, but it very nearly didn’t happen after a poor start saw him drop down to third and make contact with Lewis Hamilton.
“It was a horrible start to be honest, we found ourselves sitting in third place and then tried to go longer in the first stint. I had great traction after I got past Romain and after that the only threat was Mark who got stuck behind Romain. We could then manage the gap until the end of the race.”
Vettel now heads to the Indian Grand Prix on the verge of clinching his fourth world championship, leading closest-challenger Fernando Alonso by 90 points. Therefore, if Vettel finishes in the top five (something he has done in every race he has completed this season), he will seal the title with three races to space.
- Australian GP wide open, both from past stats and preseason tests 0
- For Josef Newgarden, year three is chance to enter IndyCar’s elite 1
- Kanaan set for more than just Indy 500 success with Ganassi switch in 2014 2
- Keselowski wins in Vegas as Dale Jr. runs dry on final lap 2
- NHRA king John Force charging as hard in boardroom for new sponsors as on the dragstrip 0
- Kurt Busch gives IndyCar chance to show they’ve learned lesson on promotion (10)
- F1 on NBC Sports TV, streaming schedule for 2014 Australian Grand Prix (7)
- Chrysler orders nearly 100 pristine Dodge Vipers destroyed (7)
- Alonso discovers an F1 take on Ellen’s Oscar “Selfie” (6)
- NNS: Elliott’s car found too low, shock taken from Keselowski’s car (6)