Oct 14, 2013, 12:08 PM EDT
Brian Vickers will be sidelined for the remainder of the NASCAR Sprint Cup and Nationwide Series seasons due to health complications.
Vickers, who was sidelined for the second half of 2010 due to a blood clot, has a similar issue this time around. Doctors discovered a small blood clot in his calf region during a Monday morning examination.
“We were just informed this morning and our concern is for Brian’s health,” MWR co-owner Rob Kauffman said in a team release. “Anything else will be worked out in due course.”
As previously announced, his Sprint Cup team principal Michael Waltrip will drive the No. 55 Aaron’s Toyota this weekend at Talladega, and a decision on a replacement for the remaining four Cup races will be made later.
A decision will have to be made on his Nationwide replacement, as well, in the No. 20 Dollar General Toyota for Joe Gibbs Racing.
Vickers had been pulling double duty since Tony Stewart’s injuries meant MWR’s other driver, Mark Martin, went to the No. 14 Mobil 1/Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet to fill in there for the balance of the season. The one exception there is also this weekend at Talladega, where Austin Dillon is set to drive the No. 14.
Vickers’ 2013 had been a comeback season of sorts with a popular win at New Hampshire in July, and the announcement he’d be back in Sprint Cup full-time in 2014 with MWR. That was in happier days for the team before the controversy of Richmond happened in September.
Video from NASCAR America
- WATCH LIVE: FP1 for the United States GP 0
- 2014 United States Grand Prix Preview 0
- Road To: Mercedes teaser – The very first Mercedes-Benz car (VIDEO) 0
- 2015 IndyCar schedule officially revealed; 17 races including 12 on NBCSN (VIDEO) 2
- Bianchi remains “critical but stable” but continues to fight, says family 2
- Has Formula 1 cracked the U.S. market in Austin? 4
- Behind the scenes: Lewis Hamilton on TODAY (VIDEO) 0