Oct 14, 2013, 4:00 PM EST
If you saw pictures of American Le Mans Series testing at Atlanta on Sunday and saw what looked like Dario Franchitti’s helmet in action, you weren’t seeing things.
You were, in fact, seeing Franchitti’s helmet being worn by younger brother Marino, who competes full-time with Level 5 Motorsports in the team’s HPD ARX-03b P2 class car.
Marino’s wearing his brother’s helmet this weekend after Dario’s accident on the last lap of the IndyCar race in Houston last week, in what goes down as one of the classiest gestures in racing this year.
The brothers Franchitti actually drove together at Petit Le Mans last year for Level 5, and finished second in class and third overall co-driving with Level 5 team principal Scott Tucker. Both drivers raced at the joint IndyCar/ALMS weekends in Long Beach and Baltimore this year, and Dario Franchitti also attended Marino’s weekend at Road America in August (picture, right).
Marino Franchitti is set to co-drive with Tucker and Guy Cosmo this week.
— Dario Franchitti (@dariofranchitti) October 14, 2013
Video from NASCAR America
- Michael Schumacher’s son, Mick Jr., has ‘secret’ F4 test 3
- Report: The Sprint Experience will not return in 2015 4
- Vergne joins Ferrari as a test driver 1
- IndyCar champ Will Power’s hidden talent — breakdancing 0
- NASCAR: Bubba Wallace confirmed for Roush Fenway XFINITY program 1
- Top NASCAR stories of 2014: No. 13 – Chase Elliott wins final Nationwide Series championship at record age 0
- CVC adds di Montezemolo, Walsh to Board of Directors for F1; Bernie stays on 1