Oct 14, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
If you saw pictures of American Le Mans Series testing at Atlanta on Sunday and saw what looked like Dario Franchitti’s helmet in action, you weren’t seeing things.
You were, in fact, seeing Franchitti’s helmet being worn by younger brother Marino, who competes full-time with Level 5 Motorsports in the team’s HPD ARX-03b P2 class car.
Marino’s wearing his brother’s helmet this weekend after Dario’s accident on the last lap of the IndyCar race in Houston last week, in what goes down as one of the classiest gestures in racing this year.
The brothers Franchitti actually drove together at Petit Le Mans last year for Level 5, and finished second in class and third overall co-driving with Level 5 team principal Scott Tucker. Both drivers raced at the joint IndyCar/ALMS weekends in Long Beach and Baltimore this year, and Dario Franchitti also attended Marino’s weekend at Road America in August (picture, right).
Marino Franchitti is set to co-drive with Tucker and Guy Cosmo this week.
— Dario Franchitti (@dariofranchitti) October 14, 2013
Video from NASCAR America
- NASCAR AMERICA: Matt Kenseth confident as Loudon looms (VIDEO) 0
- Singapore GP, Red Bull GRC highlight weekend’s NBC motorsports coverage 0
- NASCAR: Richard Petty Motorsports committed to two-car program in 2015 5
- NASCAR: STANLEY, DEWALT join JGR in 2015 4
- NASCAR AMERICA: One Sprint Cup title not enough for Keselowski (VIDEO) 0
- IndyCar’s Mikhail Aleshin released from Indianapolis hospital 0
- DA will submit evidence from Tony Stewart/Kevin Ward Jr. case to grand jury 25