Oct 14, 2013, 4:00 PM EDT
If you saw pictures of American Le Mans Series testing at Atlanta on Sunday and saw what looked like Dario Franchitti’s helmet in action, you weren’t seeing things.
You were, in fact, seeing Franchitti’s helmet being worn by younger brother Marino, who competes full-time with Level 5 Motorsports in the team’s HPD ARX-03b P2 class car.
Marino’s wearing his brother’s helmet this weekend after Dario’s accident on the last lap of the IndyCar race in Houston last week, in what goes down as one of the classiest gestures in racing this year.
The brothers Franchitti actually drove together at Petit Le Mans last year for Level 5, and finished second in class and third overall co-driving with Level 5 team principal Scott Tucker. Both drivers raced at the joint IndyCar/ALMS weekends in Long Beach and Baltimore this year, and Dario Franchitti also attended Marino’s weekend at Road America in August (picture, right).
Marino Franchitti is set to co-drive with Tucker and Guy Cosmo this week.
— Dario Franchitti (@dariofranchitti) October 14, 2013
- IndyCar’s championship contenders ready their thoughts, minds for Sonoma finale 0
- Here are your NBCSN TV times, weekend coverage plan for IndyCar’s Sonoma season finale 0
- Preview: IndyCar will race to honor Wilson, and to close its season, at Sonoma 1
- Andretti to field No. 25 car at Sonoma; Oriol Servia to drive Wilson tribute car 4
- IndyCars cross the Golden Gate Bridge; pay tribute to Justin Wilson (PHOTOS, VIDEO) 5
- Fast Facts: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma 6
- NHRA: Pro Stock driver Erica Enders hitting on all cylinders heading into U.S. Nationals 3