Oct 15, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
Nico Hulkenberg could stay put next year despite speculation linking him with several different seats following his strong form in recent races.
“I’ve never ruled Sauber out,” Hulkenberg told The Telegraph. “We are talking to different teams including Sauber.”
Among the other teams Hulkenberg is believed to be considering a switch to is Lotus, who are searching for a replacement for Ferrari-bound Kimi Raikkonen. Team principal Eric Boullier recently indicated Hulkenberg is under consideration by stating the team were not concerned about running a heavier driver (Hulkenberg is one of the tallest in F1) despite next year’s switch to heavier engines.
The 26-year-old has never raced for the same team in consecutive seasons. He made his debut with Williams in 2010 but was dropped to make way for Pastor Maldonado and his PDVSA backing. After a year as Force India’s reserve driver he raced for them in 2012. They are also rumored to be courting their ex-drivers services again for 2014.
Hulkenberg’s move to Sauber began poorly as the team made an uncompetitive start to the season. But following an aerodynamic upgrade in Hungary and the changes to Pirelli’s tires they have found themselves much more competitive in the second half of the year.
Video from NASCAR America
- Roger Penske defends Keselowski, says other drivers “jealous” of his success 0
- What now if your favorite driver is eliminated from Chase? 1
- Brad Keselowski wins at Talladega on 2nd G-W-C attempt, advances in Chase 10
- UPDATED: Chase contender Kyle Busch back on track after Lap 102 crash (VIDEO) 0
- Faced with must-win scenarios, Earnhardt, Johnson lead halfway at Talladega 0
- Surprising revelation: Dale Jr. admits he coasted earlier in his career — ‘I just rested on my legacy and last name’ 0
- With nothing left to do but win, Dale Earnhardt Jr. faces Talladega with optimism 0