Oct 16, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Rebellion Racing is losing one of its aces, Neel Jani, to Porsche’s factory FIA World Endurance Championship effort at the end of 2013. But the team confirmed late Tuesday it has locked up Nicolas Prost, son of four-time World Champion, Alain, through 2014.
The younger Prost joined the team in 2009 and counts the 2012 Petit Le Mans overall win among his victories with the Bart Hayden-led team. He co-drives with Jani and Nick Heidfeld at this weekend’s Petit Le Mans, the American Le Mans Series season finale, in the team’s Lola B12/60 Toyota.
“I’m very comfortable here and I am always involved in the development of the team,” Prost said in a team release. “We have grown together over the years and it feels like absolutely the right thing to stay with REBELLION Racing.The R-One project is really exciting and I am proud to have been associated with the project from the first meeting.”
The aforementioned R-One is a new-for-2014 LMP1 prototype the team is building for 2014 as part of new FIA/ACO P1 regulations, to race in the WEC. Rebellion has been the lone privateer survivor this year against factory efforts from Audi and Toyota, while the OAK, Pescarolo, Strakka and JRM teams have temporarily disbanded their P1 efforts over the last two years due to high costs and issues with equivalency balancing as petrol-powered cars against diesel and gasoline hybrids.
- Vettel suspects Mercedes of sandbagging during practice 1
- Mattiacci determined to turn around Ferrari’s failing season 4
- Hamilton recovers in FP2 to edge out Alonso and Rosberg 0
- Alonso fastest in first practice for Chinese GP 1
- Flashback to when a 67-second pit stop at the Indy 500 was fast vs. a modern-day F1 stop (video) 5
More from NASCAR America
- IndyCar: Massive crash triggered after round of pit stops (VIDEO) (17)
- American-based F1 franchise, Haas Formula, officially introduced (9)
- Kurt Busch won’t soon forget Clint Bowyer’s race-ruining shove at Darlington (VIDEO) (6)
- Former FIA prez Max Mosley rubbishes F1′s ongoing noise saga (6)
- Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jimmie Johnson do it old school style in a pair of classic pickup trucks (VIDEOS) (5)